Routing several tracks at once

David Nahmani

In the Track Mixer, you can route several tracks at once, saving a lot of time in certain situations. Several settings can be set for several channels at a time.

To do this, simply select all the channels you want (selected channels in the Track Mixer are a lighter, brighter shade of gray) and change the settings as desired. This works with:

Sends

Input

Output

Group

Automation Mode

Volume Level

To select a few tracks that are next to each other, click and hold the name of the first track, and drag across all the tracks you want to select.

To select non-contiguous tracks, shift click the desired tracks. The advantage of shift-clicking in the environment is that you do not have to click the name of the track, shift-clicking anywhere on the channel strip will select it.

Edited by David Nahmani

• 3 months later...

In order to rename a series of tracks with digit sequentially ordered, ie:

Aux 7, Aux 8, Aux 9, Aux 10...etc

Select all the target tracks in the environment's audio layer, then use the cursor tool to rename the first one with a digit at the end of the name, and all selected tracks will assume the new label with seqeuntial rising digits.

This can be handy when creating new tracks, or creating groups of tracks, for example:

Changing tracks: Audio 11, Audio 12, Audio 13, Audio 14 etc... to:

Chorus 1, Chorus 2, Chorus 3, Chorus 4.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
In the Track Mixer, you can route several tracks at once, saving a lot of time in certain situations. Several settings can be set for several channels at a time.

Volume Level

I find that for volume, this only works so so. When I grab a fader in the mixer, all the faders of the selected channels will move in a very jump way, or even resist moving and keep jumping back. And if I try to bring them back to the start level, they are all no longer at their same relative levels. Any ideas on this? I'm using L7.1.1

By the way, I've just got on this forum and I've been hopping around here picking up all kind of useful tips! Great info.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Now only if it would reassign the channels to match the name/number of each newly named track!

In L6, at least:

Options>Apply Buffer Template to>Definition, channel increment

works for this, though it is an extra step.

I have had trouble getting this to work. Perhaps a step by step?

Now only if it would reassign the channels to match the name/number of each newly named track!

In L6, at least:

Options>Apply Buffer Template to>Definition, channel increment

works for this, though it is an extra step.

I have had trouble getting this to work. Perhaps a step by step?

Are you on Logic 7? Try reading page 245 of the reference manual and see if that helps. It's been 4 months since I used this and I am rusty...

Definition

The Options > Apply Buffer Template to > Definition function transfers the parameters of

a copied template to all selected Objects. If several templates of the same type are

available, the one that is closest in size is used.

... > Definition, channel increment increases the channel number from Object to Object,

beginning with the top left Object. It is not necessary for the selected Objects to have

the same In or Out definition as the template.

• 2 months later...

Dude, this is so useful... why didn't I see this topic before.

I have switched from a MOTU 828, on which I used mostly output 9-10 (adat optical) as the master outs, to a tascam fw-1082 on which I have to use outs 1-2. I would open the audio configuration window and change like... 30 - 40 channels one by one... and redo that for each song.

you just saved me a lot of time. thanx alot!!!

• 1 year later...

Thanx for the tip... however, for the volume parameter , I get strange results in L7 (mixer window, haven't tried in the environment). Some channel move, some don't. Like if they were somehow "grouped" (but they ain't). Then when I move the slider of one of the "sticky" channels, the others who didn't respond usually follow.

Since Humberto is not creeping around anymore to jump on me, maybe I thought of assuming this could be - somehow - relating to the idea of a suggestion of the possiblitity of having something to perhaps do with some kind of sort of a bug? Or not?

• 1 year later...