The great keyboard controller conundrum!

Hi guys - just discovered this forum and it seems like a great place

Over the past few years my studio has been steadily maturing but one thing has stayed the same - my controller - which is now starting to give up. I have a rubbish roland pc-300, 49 key. I want more keys, like 76. 88 is probably too much and i don't want weighted as it's useless for anything other than piano, and i'm not good enough a piano player to justify getting one

I was just about set on the CME UF7 but too many bad reports about several aspects, and the overall appearance of it put me off. I started looking at alternatives but i don't really see any... something like Roland A-37 is ridiculously priced at something lie £350 over here in the UK, which is about the same kinda price as a 2nd hand Korg Trinity! And the roland doesn't even have a decent mod wheel!

Basically what i'm asking is, what are you guys using, or what would you recommend?

I have a mackie control, and am not fussed about having 400 faders and knobs on the keyboard, the CME's transport control and proper mod wheel and pitch wheel (i use both wheels a lot when i play) appealed to me, as does a jog wheel such as that comes on a motif, trinity, etc.

For the same price as something like the Novations, i could get something like Korg Trinity, or a Yamaha EX5 or CS6X, second hand. It doesn't make any sense! This is what i'm leaning towards... of course, that would mean finding one for sale second hand... If i got a trinity for like 350, i'd be paying the same as a novation controller but be getting a 'free' sequencer, TR-Rack, touch screen interface, etc. if i got the V3 trinity, i'd be getting a free korg z1 too!

Any suggestions, hope you're not all too sick of this question

Cheers

Eddie

i have an oberheim keyboard controller with heavy keys... because i wanted heavy keys. it functions and i like it and it's ugly blue !

I use midi out 2 because i haven't figured out how , eventhough i have it on a specific midi channel it sends out it's notes to all midi channels...

midi out 2 doesn't do that.

It was pretty cheap..

they have them in oberheim white these days i believe.

Yes, the CME keyboards do have some problems with USB drivers in Logic. You occasionally get stuck keys. For some it is worse than others, and there is a solution. I just use mine through MIDI though... If you wait a little, they are going to release a new series of keyboards with flying faders! I imagine that they will have sorted out the problem by then. Still, my UF5 goes everywhere with me and it's great for everything. Works great in the studio, looks good on stage, and what's more, it's metal so it won't break!

Best, L