How'd they do that!?!?

calvin200001

i wanted to post this here and get this sticky goin again. this is what beatbug found on imogen heap. Thanks beatbug!

OK Calvin - here ya go. Sorry it took so long. This is from Remix Mag:

Heap’s multifaceted personality permeates Speak for Yourself in delicate piano melodies and lush electronic textures. Containing only her vocoded voice, “Hide and Seek” is an unlikely first single born in a flash of inspiration. “My favorite computer blew up on me,” Heap explains. “But I didn’t want to leave the studio without having done anything that day. I saw the [DigTech Vocalist Workstation] on a shelf and just plugged it into my little 4-track MiniDisc with my mic and my keyboard and pressed Record.

“The First thing that I sang was those first few lines, “Where are we? What the hell is going on?” I set the vocalist to a four-note polyphony, so even if I play 10 notes on the keyboard, it will only choose four of them. It’s quite nicely surprising when it comes back with a strange combination. When it gets really high in the second chorus, that’s a result of it choosing higher rather that low notes, so I ended up going even higher to compensate, above the chord. I recorded it in, like, four-and-a-half minutes, and it ended up on the album in exactly the structure of how it came out of me then. I love it because it doesn’t feel like my song. It just came out of nowhere, and I’m not questioning that one at all.”

Post any other artist or song questions here if you want to keep this thread alive.

(great thread)

Hey, good idea to keep this thread up and running. I have been reading a lot about this chorusing effect that they manage to get, and it is the result of some very careful eqing to get the voices to sound similar but just subtly different enough to create a very tight replication of what was sung before but allowing each part to poke its way through. I wish I had the time to have a go at this at the moment. It's not only on Flloyd, but is part of their trademark sound. I imagine that now this kind of thing is much more easily had with some something like VocAlign and some eq, but back then, it must have taken them quite some time!

Best, L

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes, that is the sound of money. Can only be achieved with pristine equipment used by an engineer who really know's what he's doing. You may get the balance all nice in the EQ, and if you're really good, live in a world without harshness on your cheaper chineese factory built, imitation mics but you'll never get that level of clarity and crystal clear sibilance

Ok, I have one...

It's about chorusing vocals. There's a particular sound that is on most of Pink Floyd and also Dire Straits which I don't think is an effects unit, yet the chorusing is sooo tight and equally has quite a particular sound. Maybe it's just lots and lots of takes all in absolute perfect timing with eachother. I imagine this takes a fair while, but I guess for albums like those they had the budget to spend a long time in the studio! You can hear it quite clearly - it has a very unique sound. Maybe it's the same take layered and jostled around by a few miliseconds, but again, it doesn't really sound like it to me. Anyway, probably it's a very simple answer, but if anyone has any ideas... It's something I would like to try, but can't quite get it.

Best, L

Eventide Pitch shifter...or...Roland Dimension-D maybe...

Maybe you should look into some aticles by Alan Parons who was engineering pink floyd at the time

Hi all,

Can you tell me which instrument to use in order to make the drum sound in the song 'sandstorm'. Its the part where the song dropsdown and from where the sustained drums come in!!!???

Thanks

Alan

Those drums are from a very well known sample cd! I believe it's from 800 pro fx but I'm not sure, I've used those same drums in the past.

Drop me an email: vank@vidage.com and I'll send you the sample!

Song: Like A Pen

Artist: The Knife

Album: Silent Shout

Download Snippit Here

iTunes Link Here

note: iTunes preview does not contain the part of song of interest

This is the intro of the song - and as is pretty dope if you ask me... now, how are they creating that interesting effect on the snaps?

my guess is some type of time-stretching algorithm. i don't think the EXS-24 can do this. any clues?

this is a fun game however, it brings up some interesting legal issues especially if the song is not freely available, or the part of the song of interest is not the part encoded on itunes - as is the case with my chosen one. though, i would imagine, any artist not on a major label would welcome the publicity of these types of games as it may very well lead to purchases.

Hi.

Same kind of effect can be achieved by modulating a slapback delays delay time with an LFO. It's bit hard with Logic's plug-ins but not impossible.

Below is something like it done with EXS24. You need to choose and interesting looped sample to make it work.

i

P.S. I intentionally didn't send this as a ready made downloadable preset because this way you learn how those parameters affect the sound when you dial them in one by one.

Modulation.png.77fdee0119846c137226702728d041f4.png

Analyze this

I just thought it would be a neat idea for everyone if you have a song that you heard somewhere and you wanted to know how they did that...

this would be a great place to talk about it. I dont think we can but it would be nice to post the mp3s on the site to listen. (what do you think David?)

First song:

Song: Session

Artist: Linkin Park

Album: Matrix reloaded soundtrack

questions:

How did they make those drums do that?

what are all if any effects that you hear there? Do you know how to reproduce that?

Please reply and post more songs like i am and lets fill this sticky up with comments!!

I didn't buy the song. Just checked out 30 seconds on iTunes Music Store™

So - for awesome studdering effects, check out the free "Buffer Override" plug-in:http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/audiounits.html

with some automation and a bit of experimentation, you can create completely mental modulations on the drums.

Actually, thinking about it, LiveCut is even better and also a bit easier to get the results you want.

http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/2005/07/livecut.php

Both these plug-ins are free.

If you want a totally amazing drum instrument which also has similar features built-in, try Spectrasonics Stylus RMX. When this was released 2 years ago, it was my favorite plug-in of 2004. Sells for about $299.

Bring on more examples!

I think that many of the most innovative "tricks" are just good programming and not any one effect. Its hard to describe how to program certain types of tricks because the best tricks are so context-specific.

b-stone

• 4 months later...