Basic Mainstage useage questions

briznitch

So just some basic stuff to get people's opinion, not really a "how do I do that" thread.

1. What's the best way to organize a Mainstage concert? (I'm using Guitar Rig if that makes a difference as well.) Is it best to create my layout at the Concert level? I have done that so far.

2. Is it best/easiest to have say, 1 patch, and just put all my FX into it and just stay on 1 screen/patch the whole time? For instance, now I have just 1 patch, which includes 3 distortions, auto-wah, Gratifier head, delay, pitch, gate, volume, tuner, mute. I have assigned them to a controller (I/O and a few controls each), and never have to leave the patch, just turn on/off what I want to use at the moment.

BUT

What happens when I want to simultaneously go from a clean/delay sound to a distorted/non-delay sound? or from Clean to Auto-Wah/Pitch pedal? (without the time in between switching multiple FX on and off) Is this where my patches will come into play?

It seems to me that once you know where you want your FX, you make a "set" (a song), and within that set you have 1 patch per effect change? So say 1 patch for the intro, 1 for the verse, 1 for the chorus, 2nd verse, 2nd chorus, jam/breakdown, 3rd chorus, end? Then I just advance forward 1 for each effect change, and never really have to turn individual FX on or off because they are pre-programmed?

Does that make any sense? Just trying to figure out the easiest and most effective way to use Mainstage live. I don't have any gigs or anything lined up I just want to get used to it in the meantime.

Thanks in advance everyone! Any other helpful hints you have found while using Mainstage are welcome as well. We can all learn from each other I'm sure!

1. What's the best way to organize a Mainstage concert? (I'm using Guitar Rig if that makes a difference as well.) Is it best to create my layout at the Concert level? I have done that so far.

You can do what you prefer. The possible structure is Concert => Set => Patch. Many people think of "Set" as a "Song" and "Patch" for different sounds within a song. But if you as a guitar player just want to switch between different sounds, I would use patches for this. Putting everything on the Concert level is kind of limiting. Patches allow to optimize for CPU load.

What happens when I want to simultaneously go from a clean/delay sound to a distorted/non-delay sound? or from Clean to Auto-Wah/Pitch pedal? (without the time in between switching multiple FX on and off) Is this where my patches will come into play?

For effects on top of certain sounds, you can map buttons/padels to Bypass for effects or channel strips and use them to turn certain effects on or off. Another option it to have two patches with different effects and switch between them. Just pick whatever works best for you.

As a guitar player I would use patches whenever the sound changes more or less completely (e.g. between songs, or when you switch to a different guitar), while using pedals mapped to bypass to turn certain effects on/off.

Markus