Preamps

Okay, if you are doing drums, you will need at least 6 pres, prefereably 8-10.

Solid state is the way to go for most of it, although I love using my tube pres for room mics.

I own an RME Fireface 800, and I'm assuming the pres in the octamic are the same ones. They are not bad. Decent clean pres. A bit boring personally, but I've been pleasantly surprised when I've run out of outboard pres and had to use them. If you are on a budget than this is probably a good option.

If you've got a bit more to spend, look around and see if you can pick up a used Focusrite Red 1 (4 pres - sometimes they go for around $1500 on ebay). A friend of mine has these and I always borrow these when I do drum tracking session for the kick, snare, rack and floor tom. They've never let me down. Fat and punchy.

The other set of solid state pres that I've been very happy with that aren't too expensive are my set of Sytek pres. They are made by the same guy who builds neotek boards (the ones that Steve Albini uses). There is an option for Burr Brown transformers on any channel. I've got the regular pres on 1 and 2 (which are very fast and clean) and the Burr Browns on 3 and 4 (which are warmer and punchier). I tend to use either pair for various stereo applications depending on what I'm looking for. You can buy a set of 4 pres directly from the company for $900. The owner Mike puts them up on ebay often just to get the name around, so you can sometimes get them for under $750. I bought them without hearing them just based on forum chatter and praise and I have been very happy with them. Definately worth a look.