Mainstage Stuffing up Live

Tommybrady

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What type of keyboard are you using, where is it plugged, does it have its own port, etc? It sounds like there is congestion wherever your MIDI input is coming in to your Macbook.

Its a old school casio AZ-1, running through an echo audio fire4 interface

could it be that the interface is not compatible with the contoller?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, You must have your settings in the "environment" setup incorrectly. Do your routing trough the environment window and you can do what you say you can't. There aren't too many things Logic cannot do its a mater of learning where they are (what you want) and how to employ them. Logic Pro 8 is the most complete and intelligent studio on the market. there are a few quirks but they are all explainable and have workarounds. Most end up with problems do due the plug-ins!! Universal Binary plug-ins are key, also make sure they are updated and re-start Logic or Mainstage so that the changes can take effect.

As far as Mainstage and CPU turn off whatever part of an EQ, channel strip etc. or other plug-in that you are not using these open ended non-used areas eat CPU in Mainstage.

As someone else stated, Mainstage is the most reliable on stage live computer program when setup correctly. Its not Mainstage giving you problems, its how you are leaving Mainstage's CPU usage available to items you are not using. It is recommended to close any and all other applications not being used even if this means blocking them while using Mainstage. Also clear the startup programs not needed you will notice an immediate difference in Mainstage.

As ar as latency issues this can be controlled by setting up Logic Global Preferences so that the latency level is set to a usable setting not allowing latency to takeover. This setting is automatically picked up by Mainstage. Hope this helps someone.

Rock On!

NY'er

So if I go buy the new Mainstage 17" Macbook Pro w/4Gbytes RAM and not go nuts with third party plugins or Space Designer, what are the odds that I can actually rely on this onstage? Such a mixed bag of comments on the Internet about this thing and its hard to shell out $$ for a MBP when I'd only be buying the MBP for Mainstage and live use (already have an iMac at home) (and not buying a better keyboard)......

Hi, All I can say is that I'm using a MBP 15 inch with 4gig of ram (upgraded from 2) and have had no issues. I can't say what will happen if you do what you say only my experience with Mainstage. I will add that the settings you make ultimately determine how Mainstage reacts. Also your interface or all interfaces for that matter have a certain degree of latency. I use Duet by Apogee its a perfect match for the MPB.

Best of Luck!

NY'er

Maybe macprovideo.com might be of some assistance.

I use a Roland keyboard through the midi input in a MOTU Ultralite (Firewire), and a CASIO AZ-1 through an M-Audio USB input into my Macbook.

No problems.

Just make sure all the settings are correct in your Layout page before each gig. Sometimes Mainstage has a problem seeing everything when it starts up.

I also like to check each patch (a bit of a pain), especially if I've been working on some changes at home, but once set - it works perfectly.

JM