Mice and computer controling devices

I hope this is the best forum to post this.

Right now I'm not happy with my current mousing solution. I'm using an old Logictech track ball that I really like for general computing purposes but A) people coming into my studio don't like it because it's a bit awkward until you get used to it and B) I'd like to find something which is a bit more programmable so I can tie it to keycommands in Logic.

What are other people using? How are you using a mousing type device to improve your workflow? What are some of your favorite keycommands to tie to mouse events/clicks/etc?

Maybe you should just get a standard mouse for visitors?

For your shortcuts, you might like something like the Belkin Nostromo Speedpad n52. I haven't used it with Logic, honestly, but it has more than paid for itself in my day job (translation).

I also prefer trackballs. My Kensington was far more programmable than the Logitech that I am using now.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, just checked out that Belkin thing. If you think a track ball is weird, can't imagine what people would say about that. I've never been a big trackball fan. I'm in love with my Kensington Pilot Mouse optical two button mouse with scroll wheel. I have the wired version, but they also have a wireless version if you need that.

This mouse has great software to tweak the response of the mouse movement...when you move fast across the screen it flies and when you slow down for detailed work, it's very accurate. It also is programmable and works well with macs. I also like the high profile of it which is very comfortable. I use it with a 3M gel filled wrist rest and the two together work great.

I have mine programmed: left button-single click, right button-double click, both buttons together-opens a list of all active programs, scroll button click is like control-click sub menu.

I've gone through a bunch of mice trying to find the "one" and without a doubt this is it for me. I think it was $39.

Kevin