Use an MPC to Control Logic AND Reason Rewired Instruments

JaeOne3345

We all know how to control Logic properly when ONLY using logic instruments or 3rd party AU instruments in Logic's software instrument tracks from the MPC. Done deal.

If you don't, read David's post here: http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=32201

Many people might want to control Logic AND also trigger instruments from Reason that have been rewired through Logic.

A Logic software instrument gives you the ability to set which channel it will receive midi data on (1-16).

Under normal circumstances (no MPC/external sequencer) when you want to use a reason instrument rewired in Logic, you basically convert an external midi instrument into a Logic instrument. Once you have your reason instruments loaded into reason, go back to logic, select your external midi instrument, go to your library browser, navigate to reason, and choose the instrument you want to control. Be sure to create an aux so that you can monitor reason's sounds through logic.

Here is the problem, you no longer have choice on what midi channel that Reason instrument receives on like you do when using a software instrument in Logic. And no, the channel choice under "Bus" does not help in the inspector. I have tried. Sure, the instrument will be triggered, but you can't control what channel triggers it.

I am guessing it was written like this because Apple intended for Logic to be the master sequencer, and not just a rack of modules for an mpc. This is not a problem when working in the box since you only deal with one channel at a time. This is not the case when working from the MPC platform or when using an other hardware sequencer.

I will share my work around for those who do want to use both logic instruments and reason instruments together.

-Don't bother creating a Reason instrument through the external midi track in Logic's arrange window as you would under normal circumstances (No mpc/external sequencer)

-Look at the channels currently being used by software instruments in logic if you have any (look in the inspector)

-Place Reason instruments in Reason's hardware device channel slots that are NOT used by any software instruments in Logic. (press the advanced midi device button)

-Make sure your midi interface device is shown in Reasons hardware device interface display.

-Route these Reason instruments through an AUX track in Logic so you can hear them

-The MPC will be able trigger Logic software instruments on channels you selected in the Logic track inspector, and it will also be able to trigger straight to Reason instruments on channels you selected in the Reason midi hardware interface.

**Remember that you won't have any Reason instruments in Logic's arrange window! They are controlled using Reasons hardware interface that sits in the top of the rack.

How do you record?

When you are ready to record your work after the creation process is finished, create an audio track for each reason device going to be recorded. Use a Bus in order to send sound from the Reason Aux track you created in logic to the correct audio track in Logic. I never use a Reason mixer since I can route each Reason instrument to its ow aux channel in Logic.

You can still record logic software instrument tracks as midi tracks though. I frowned at the fact I couldn't record midi information for these Reason tracks successfully in a controlled manner, but I realized recording to audio is no different then when I need to track in my mpc, sp-1200, or any other gear.

Again, if all you are using is Logic software instrument tracks with logic and/or 3rd party instruments with your mpc, this doesn't apply to you.

If you are using Logic software instruments while triggering Reason instruments simultaneously, remember to use a blank instrument that stays selected. Why?

From the manual:

When Multiplayer Recording: Incoming MIDI events are distributed to the various record-enabled tracks, in accordance with transmitted MIDI channel numbers.

-The channel of the incoming event must correspond to the channel of a record-enabled track, in order for this functionality to work.

-If no track with a corresponding channel number is found, the event will be routed, and recorded, onto the selected track.

**Logic will interpret midi channel information going to Reason as midi channels with no destination, and therefore trigger the last selected track as explained above. This is why I use an empty software instrument that stays selected. Logic programmers need to get rid of this illogical function. Pro Tools doesn't do this. The pro tools instrument/midi tracks only respond to channel information they are set to. There is no "I guess I will just trigger the last selected instrument since I don't know how to ignore it."

**UPDATE: Instead of using blank software instruments, you can also right click on the aux you created for the Reason instrument in the mixer and create/select an arrange track for that particular Reason instrument aux. This aux arrange track will not record audio nor data, but it can act as a visual represenation of a Reason instrument. It can also serve the purpose of a blank selected instrument as explained above (due to the way Logic handles midi message with "no home" to go to). Remember, you can't record audio or midi onto this track, It is just a place holder, and you therefore need to route this aux to an audio track with a bus to record the audio from Reason.

In terms of being controlled by external gear such as the MPC, Pro Tools shines in this arena from a functional stand point. It doesn't matter whether you are using a plug in instrument or using a rewire instrument. You still have an option of setting a receive channel for either, which lets you record midi data for the reason instrument from an external sequencer like an mpc on multiple channels. As said above, a PT instrument track only receives on channels it is set to, thereby making any empty instrument tracks unnecessary. But, as we know, pro tools offers no delay compensation or the vast included sound library that Logic does, so we must compromise.

Hope this helps those who like to use the MPC, Logic, and Reason all together.

Edited by JaeOne3345

JaeOne,

I registered with the forum just to post a reply saying Thanks!

You helped me figure out why I rewire kept triggering the last instrument selected/highlighted in Reason (and not just the Reason instrument I selected through Logic, as I assumed should be the case). I kept thinking that "I" must have some settings messed, or missed something somewhere (and, of course, wanting to understand every nook and cranny of these programs to have the utmost control, I was going nearly out of my mind figuring out the issue) ... and I couldn't find any other posts online regarding this. Even with your post, I just happened to read to the bottom, where the answer was.

It's the rare bugs with programs that really throw a person off b/c you keep assuming that you must have done something wrong and missed something.

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post your valuable knowledge ... you never know where it'll help someone out!

Much appreciated.

Hey man, it's all good! Glad to help!

My dad (big apple fan since day 1) just got me to break grips with my PC/Pro Tools set up.

It was crucial for me to know Logic in the manner I know pro tools before I could start focusing on the music.

I just got Logic last week so I am still learning a few things here and there.

Perhaps the mods and trainers can relay this type of information back to the programmers to take care of issues like this.

Let me know if you have any more midi questions!

Take a look here for using the mpc with multi timbral instruments. It may be of use as well:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=33800