Scary moments...

I'm sure we all have our little scary moments when working with a computer.

A long time ago I've assigned the action of pressing down on the scrollwheel (like a button, not using it for scrolling) to Expose 'All windows of the current app'. It never really worked well, but once in a while it does work and all of a sudden I can see my screen getting dark and for a split second, I think I'm having a kernel panic!!

What are your scary moments?

my dual g5 has actually had 3 processors in it during it's life. one day a processor crapped out...

there were kernel panics, there was weird asian writing, there was cursing, there was sobbing.

then there was absolute frozen terror when the apple store told me that i was 2 days past my warrantee and i had forgotten to get apple care.

that was a long, long, loooong, couple of weeks. :(

i'm still paying off the repair bill on my credit card.

but hey, i'm back to making music. and i am so glad i backup data regularly.

-T

yeah, i actually ranted to the "mac genius" about that.

"what type of $2500 computers are you making that last exactly 2 days longer than the warantee?"

and he said that's just the way it goes, sometimes complicated machinery breaks down, and there might be a one in a million chance, etc. etc.

so i asked if that means i should go buy a lotto ticket since i'm good at being one in a million.

he replied, "well, no...but life insurance might be a good idea"

it was hard for me to appreciate that moment of levity at the time, but looking back, it was kinda a funny thing to say.

i'm writing my reply to you on it right now. it was more cost efficient to just drop another processor in it b/c i didn't have apple care, but couldn't afford/justify buying a new machine.

it was a chance to take but the apple store screwed up so much on my machine (and kept it for nearly a month) that they ended up compensating me greatly, and doing the job for cost. so a $1200 repair bill was $600.

still no applecare, which makes me queasy, but if it craps out again, i'll take my drives, my ram, and my pride, and get a new (non-intel) mac.

fingers crossed!

t

My whole first year (3 years ago) of computers was a scary moment as I took on computers for the first time, and Logic, at the same time. And I thought "I don't need that expensive apple care, I'll have this all down in a couple of months." :oops: A year of WTF, spitting curses at emagic/apple and assuming that my computer was screwed everytime something crashed or did something strange. (And don't get me started about the fan noise.) It's all good now, the machines in a closet and I am loving this set up. Could do w/o the beachball so bloody often tho.... There's a G5 out there somewhere with my name on it! Preferably a chirp free one. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Well back in OS9 days of Logic I rented out this old cigar factory for some live recording. Really great sound in that space, but no isolation. At any rate I brought up a nice little rig to record everything onto a harddrive I had just purchased. First few days went well. Then something started happening. I had given the HD the name ISM Factory. In the middle of a take, the name started blinking. Quick little background at the time I was reading a lot of bible apocrypha. So the name is blinking off and on. Just the name not the icon. Then it suddenly changes its name to "Trumpets 3." I tried my best to change it back but it would keep doing this. Now to be fair there was a file on the drive called Trumpets 3, but you can't imagine how freaked out I became about it. A few days later it changed back. But at the end of the day, the majority of those files never translated to OSX. I still have it, and still have no explination for its behavior, though my suspicion is the lack of protection from the sound being recorded.

How come stuff always breaks the day after the warranty runs out?

My first HP laptop's screen went out the day after the HP warranty ran out (1 year). Just kinda popped and it went blank.

I took it in to get fixed and the tech guy told me it would be over a grand to fix it. A grand? The laptop itself wasn't even worth that even in working condition, I said. He told me that comp manufacturers9mind you, we're talking PC) triple the repair bills they charge to customers to recoup the losses they sustain for having to make warranty repairs in the first place. How twisted is that?