Memory Hell

revolucian

What setting in logic will benefit me from buffer size to the way I run my sessions Stevenson.

it depends. if cpu is your bottleneck then increasing your buffer size could help. but it sounds to me like physical installed RAM is your bottleneck. you are just running out of memory.

3. the mmap functionality requires a certain amount of internal logic memory to make work. this severely curtails the amount of memory you have for your 3rd party stuff, which is why reducing your physical RAM could actually increase how much you have available for logic. the amount of memory logic sets aside to run mmap is set in your plist file. even a fairly low level programmer could adjust this. i have had mine adjusted and it has made a huge difference.

Can you show how to make this adjustment? I've given up on trying to get past 4.00 VM (even if I load nothing but EXS24s) and I have 16GB of ram.

I have Plist Edit Pro and see a listing called "NSWindow Frame SamplerVirtualMemory" and a bunch of numbers after it. Is this what you adjusted?

Speaking of ReWiring and IAC, does anyone know if Mainstage can be used as an EXS-24 playback "module" in conjunction with Logic?

Hi Ski

Short Answer... Yes!

Set up a multi-keyboard concert, each assigned to a specific IAC port and channel.

Create Channel Strips in Mainstage, and assign them to each 'keyboard'.

Output audio back to Logic via Soundflower.

Seems to work ok!?

HTH

CCT

WARNING!!

proceed at your own risk!

FIRST MAKE A COPY OF YOUR PLIST FILE SO IF THINGS GO TITS UP YOU CAN GO BACK TO WHAT YOU HAD BEFORE!!

this was sent to me by a friend with programming experience but i wasn't game to do it myself. i sent him my plist file and he did it for me and it made a massive difference on my machine. but i stress that is on MY machine - it may not have the same effect on other machines.

- Open the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist file in the property list editor.

- In there create a dictionary item named EXSVMManager.

- In this dictionary create two sub items of type number named VMSegSize and LRUSize.

- Set VMSegSize to 2048 and LRUSize to 64. These values appear to be default in Logic.

- Try setting VMSegSize to 1024 _or_ LRUSize to 32 and check if:

a) you can add 0.2 GB more 3rd party stuff and

b) EXS playback is still stable.

If yes, you might change both values to the smaller number, resulting in 128 MB instead of 512 MB window size.

good luck and if it works let us know.

• 2 years later...