what is Dl'ing....?????

im about to record my brothers band,i have never done real instrument recording as im a electronic artist,and im a little nervous about it!!

so i have been doing as much research as possible on the topic,but one thing i cant figure out is when the articles refer to Dl'ing on the topic of recording electric guitars!!

the band is very alternative and bluesy,(john buttler) sounding,so they want a very raw and earthy sound,i will have to do all the recording within the control room,and they are hell bent on using there amps!!

can anyone suggest the best way to record the electric guitar and bass,i will be using a rode k2 and a sennheiser dynamic for all the recording,my room is fully decked out with primeacoustcs treatment and im runing logic 7.1 on a duel 1.8 g5(10.3.9),my interface is the new motu ultralite and the guitarist will be using valve amps!!

i feel confident with all of the acoustic work and drum programing,ill be using Bob Clearmountain Drums, as i couldnt record drums within my space,but im still worried abou the amped stuff.....

any help would be much apreciated :D

Wikpedia is usually full of great information... amazing really... however i would strongly disagree on what it says here about going direct with an acoustic guitar.

That sound has ruined so many recordings ...please..don't do it!!!

You're right... and it really depends on the style you're going for! An acoustic guitar that simply floats atop a busy rock mix including heavy distorted guitars, something like Nickelback, might benefit from being recorded through a DI. But an acoustic organic recording with only a few instrument, or a suzanne vega song? Forget it!

I have to say I agree with them on the bass though. Most of the time a Bass will sound better and be easier to mix when tracked through a DI. A Bass amp's speaker cab will give you all sort of phasing problems...