Which Intel Mac for Music Recording, Please?

Ok, so it's not enough that I'm deciding between Logic and DP at the same time as I lose my computer virginity. Now I have another question:

I've already ordered a MacBookPro, 17" 2.16Ghz, 100 gig 7200 rpm drive with 2 gigs of RAM. HOWEVER...

Yesterday my wifes' ancient PC died, and I bought her a 17" 1.83 Ghz iMac Core Duo (Intel). It has a 160 gig drive (also 7200 rpm) and 512 mb of RAM, upgradeable to 2 gigs.

It is SEXY and even after the upgrade of RAM and case, still literally half the price of the MacBookPro. It's not as portable as a laptop, but it's definitely moveable with a padded custom case from iLugger.

So my questions are:

Is it good enough to score an indie film in Logic, if I keep my samples on an external drive? I know it has a slower processor--1.83 vs 2.16. Are there other factors that come into play, say a desktop drive being faster than a laptop drive? Will one run hotter or quieter?

I don't want to set myself up for increased latency or noticeably slower function. But did I mention how SEXY this thing is? :)

Thanks!

Doug

I think the iMac should be fine if you add more RAM. The specs are so close. If you don't need the laptop, you could use the money you save to buy a second monitor, a keyboard, etc.

If the iMac is not powerful enough for your needs, then I doubt that the MBP will be either. . . in which case, when you realize this, you will have sunk less money into the first Mac to start with.

By the way, I recommend getting AppleCare, especially if you think you might sell the Mac within 3 years.

Disclosure: I use an iMac G5, but I am thinking about getting an MBP as a replacement because I want the mobility.

Maybe it's because I'm so burned out trying to save some files off my wife's dead PC right now, but your email struck me as beautifully worded, V. :)

I think I agree with you. Some user at an Apple BBS said he thought I'd notice the difference between 2.16 (MBP) and the Intel iMac (1.83). They both only go up to 2 gigs of RAM, that's been confirmed. But others have said I wouldn't notice a difference.

My need for portability...well, it's not like I'm going to be zooming around the nieghborhood, recording everyone. It's more like a 4 day drive down to Mexico, then three months later a 4 day drive back. I might take it on a plane for a 3 hour flight once or twice, but it would be in the carry on--iLugger has carry on cases for the 17" and the 20" and they swear they fit and have never heard of one being rejected from carry-on status. It's starting to look a little like I'll be switching my order from a laptop to the iMac.

I'm glad if my post was helpful. Sure, you might notice the difference in processor speed if you are really pushing it, but a year from now, there will be even faster processors.

If you are mostly going to be working in one place, a second monitor to expand your "desktop" is probably going to be even more helpful than a slightly faster processor.

One more thing . . . new Intel iBooks are rumored to appear soon . . . you probably don't want to think about that!

:D