Best rock song ever

Well, I have been meeting a lot of people who record primarily electronic stuff using Logic, but I know that there are some rockers on this forum (David inculded I think?) and I reckon we should have a best rock (in the widest scope possible) song ever post. By this I don't only mean the song, I also mean the performance, the engineering, the recording, the production, the mastering etc. Basically, the end product, which reaches the consumers' ears, and just explodes when you hear it. The most satisfying rock record experience I guess.

Well, here's my vote, and it changes quite often, but I'm just listening to it now on my new monitors, and it sounds *$%8^*^*%^&%£$%&*^ing awesome!

Another Day - Dreamtheatre

Hope people pick up on this, best, L

Most Rocking: Queen - "It's Late" (the 2nd to the last track off of News of the World)

Huge sound, amazing playing/performances, warmest/punchiest recording.

Most Beautiful: Radiohead - "The Tourist" (last track on OK Computer)

Gorgeous melodies, enveloping sounds, soaring.....

Most Indy: The Pixies - "This Monkey's Gone To Heaven" (7th track on Doolittle)

beautiful and raw at the same time, weird backgrounds, cool arrangements

Most Creepy: David Bowie - "Big Brother" (2nd to the last track off of Diamond Dogs)

huge weirdo instrumentation, wacked out sounds, dark lyrics

Best Production (Albums): The Flaming Lips - "The Soft Bulletin", Radiohead - "Ok Computer", U2 - "The Unforgettable Fire", Soundgarden - "Superunknown"............oye, too many more...........

I just gotta chime in here and say The Afghan Whigs have some amazing stuff. They are talked about mostly for their earlier work but the last two albums "Black Love" and "1965" are really well produced. "Going to Town" on "Black Love" is my favorite song (almost) of all time.

Is that a tough question or what?

I still consider "A Secret Wish" by Propaganda (produced by Trevor Horn) to be my reference as far as depth and use of reverbs. I don't think I've ever heard an album with so many instruments really appearing at different distances from the listener.

I'm a big fan of "The Downward Spiral" by Nine Inch Nails, and its crazy production ideas. To me, that album took production as an art, not as a science. They weren't necessarily shooting for the best sound ever, they were trying to mess with your mind through the use of sound. The track "The downward spiral" is a good example: what is going on? Detuned guitars, machinery sounds, far-away distorted guitars, panning of ghostly voices, doppler like music passing by, present voice whispering into your ear as screaming voices echo in the distance...wow.

Or "Piggy", which start as a regular downtempo groove song, but at 2:36 into the song, a snare sound seems to jump out of the mix... then an avalanche of drums takes over the song.. this was my favorite production idea ever until I heard... that it was just Trent banging on drums while trying desperatly to hear the original track to keep track of the timing, and listening back to it a few months later decided that it was a keeper. Talk about art! To this day, those drum parts still gives me shivers down my spine!

My favorite track of the album is probably "Eraser", with the crazy mosquito voices and guitars of Adrian Belew blowing into reverb toward the end of the 3:30 intro, and unusual song structure (3:30 intro, verse1, verse2 - or is that a chorus?)

If I had to take only one CD on a desert island, it would be Pop Will Eat Itself's "This is the day, This is the hour, This.. is this." To me, I don't think anything in this world reaches such complex and interesting production, but the reason I didn't place it first in the list is that first, not many people know PWEI, and second, I have a big emotional attachment to that album. If you like NIN and industrial rock/rap in general, give it a try, those guys invented it all. No wonder Trent ended up signing them, although the album he produced wasn't as rich as the one cited here.

What else? Sneaker Pimps' "Becoming X", Stereo MC's "Supernatural" which was pretty much all recorded with an Akai sampler only, Fear Factory's "Remanufacture" which was produced using Cubase on an Atari computer in 1997, when there were so many faster-bigger-stronger-more-modern other options out there, still sounds amazingly modern.

Oh and Steve Albini's production of Nirvana's "In Utero"! Love it. Funny how they had those two hit songs (All apologies and Heart Shaped Box) remixed to sound more commercial. And Tool's "AENIMA". Someone gives me that guitar tone! My kingdom for that guitar tone!

And anything that says Radiohead on it, I will buy, eat, sleep with, grind and smoke.

Sorry I just couldn't pick one favorite!

David,

Do you know that Dream Theatre song? I'm a bit of a rocker myself, but mostly a soft-rocker, but man, it's so well done! The spaces created are just incredible, the soundscape is just awesome!

I'm a massive fan of Radiohead too - more so their later stuff, although I have been following them form the beginning. A band that I have just discovered is The Guillemots. They have a tune called Made Up Love Song 43. They came to one of our gigs, and their stuff just blows me away. Quite easy to find I imagine, and this is by a long way their best song. Nicely engineered too. The singers voice really somes through - I have to say, I wouldn't like to have been the engineer who would have to had to deal with it, but he/she has done an amazing job! http://www.myspace.com/guillemotsmusic . It's not up there at the moment, but I have fallen in love with this song, and others by them. Deffo worth checking out!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with David about NIN. They are definately my all time favorite band.

There have been very few bands over the years that have impressed me. I just discovered 30 Seconds to Mars and I really like their latest album.

When I want to hear good songs that also have good production I head over the world of country music. The production on Tim McGraw's Set This Circus Down album is awesome.

The new Bon Jovi album is pretty cool too.

• 3 weeks later...