How can I use the Motif as a controller for MainStage?

dagwood

I've just aquired logic, and I'm interested in using mainstage when I play out.......I have the original motif 7, and I'm having problems hearing anything at all when I connect the motif to mainstage in my macbook pro via usb.....can I use my motif as a controller keyboard, and could anyone help direct me as to what I might try to connect the two properly.....thanks.......dag.

Hi..Not sure about the Motif..But most hardware synths need to use their audio outputs for internal sounds to be heard..You need to take the outs of the Motif into either an audio interface,if you have one..Or use the mini (stereo) plug on the Mac for audio in...You then need to create an audio channel in MS and set its' input so it monitors the input from your keyboard..JON

• 1 month later...
I am also using a Motif ES8. If you are only connecting it to your Mac using the USB, your keyboard is only going to act as a Midi controller. If you want to use some of the sounds in your Motif, you are going to need to get an interface of some kind. I just purchased a recording interface that has a number of inputs and outputs so that I can streamline the sounds in the keyboard, as well as use it as a Midi controller.