Logic Certification Exam

fa

Hi Guys

I'll be soon attending the exam for Logic Certificate Level I here in Italy

and was wondering how it will look like in terms of questions.

I know it's an online exam with quiz and multiple answers...

does anybody know something in more detail..

thanks

Make sure you know the book (The Martin Sitter book). The questions can address any topic discussed in the book.

You'll have questions on terminology (they show you a picture and ask you to name an object, or they give you a name and ask you which object it describes), question on features (they ask you how many XXXX you can use in Logic), questions on where to find a particular function or setting... (is it on a particular window or in a particular menu, or both...).

That's the kind of questions you can prepare yourself for. Some of the questions can be a little tricky so make sure you take your time. Sometimes the right answer is "All of the above", and sometimes the right answer is "None of the above".

OK, now a couple of questions from a 70 question test I designed to determine if students are ready to take the Level I test:

67. GM stands for:

A. Generic Matrix.

B. General MIDI.

C. Garlic Meatballs.

D. Great Music.

E. Glue-tool Movement.

69. Pressing the Control Key and clicking on the background of the Arrange Windowallows you to:

A. Navigate left, right, up or down.

B. Use the Zoom tool.

C. Import an Audio File.

D. Does nothing.

41. To Loop a Region in the Arrange Window, you can:

A. Hold Option while clicking on the Region.

B. Select Audio > Region > Loop.

C. Select Audio > Region > Parameters > Loop.

D. Click on the Loop icon on the Region’s channel strip.

E. None of the above.

Thanks David

Yes , i have studied on the Martin's book

and hopefully everything will go smoothly..

reading your questions

67 - B

69 - D

now for the question 41 region's channel strip is not region parameter box right?

in that case ...none of the above

:)

later....!

Well.. care to comment? In my experience it works exactly as a zoom tool.

Sure.

1. The Zoom tool can zoom anywhere without any limitations. You can select any area in the arrangement and zoom without problems.

2. Using the Control+Drag/Click method for activating the Zoom tool, there are certain limitations. You can't select or click anywhere in the arrangement and zoom. You can only start your zoom point from an area with no objects in it.

This has the following implications: if your screen is somewhat zoomed in, all tracks have audio tracks on them - then you have no way to zoom further in or zoom out using the Control+Drag/Click method, you are forced to either use the actual Zoom tool or key commands to zoom (not very good in this case).

The only time this is not entirely true is when you have activated Track Automation, then you can zoom again - but only on the actual waveform image - not on the name bar of the object. This can cause some accidental movement of objects if you're not careful.

Some of the questions in the test when I took it were quite tricky, so let's say the question was: Does the Zoom tool and Control+Drag/Click in the arrangement work the same way? I would have to say no, although they are mostly similar.

Some of the developers from the old Emagic team (now Apple of course) had a meeting with me earlier this year. I mentioned a shitload of things that should be addressed in the future versions, however I totally forgot this one. Argh.

That's why I said "on the background". On the background, it works exactly like a zoom tool. On regions you have to use Control+Option to access the zoom tool.

The test has its imperfections, and so does the book, but for the most part the test respects what is in the book. Since all you learn in the book is that Control+any tool turns your pointer into a zoom tool (p35), that is the expected answer.

Once you control click on the background, it will then function just like a zoom tool onwards (short-click goes back one navigation level, rubber-banding defines an area to zoom in on - in fact you can even let go of the Control key while rubber-banding). Of course you have to Control-click in the background again any time you want to use that feature.

You are arguing that if you don't click on the background, it won't work like a zoom tool. Which is why I said "On the background...".

During a class however I really insist on that and actually demonstrate it and let the students play with both Control-clicking and Control-Option-clicking (my favorite). I'm now using Control-Option-clicking exclusively, even when clicking in the background. That way I just know it will always work!

Hi David,

I was wondering if there is any way to take the exams without taking the classes?

I'm Interested in this too so that I don't have to travel far away to get certified (I live in Finland).

I

Once you control click on the background, it will then function just like a zoom tool onwards (short-click goes back one navigation level, rubber-banding defines an area to zoom in on - in fact you can even let go of the Control key while rubber-banding). Of course you have to Control-click in the background again any time you want to use that feature.

You are arguing that if you don't click on the background, it won't work like a zoom tool. Which is why I said "On the background...".

I think you are misreading me.

You say "once you control click on the background it will function just like a zoom tool onwards". But it won't do so onwards, unless you continue to always start from the background - you can't zoom directly on an object even if you originally started by control clicking on the background as the previous command. So it still works differently, that's what I'm saying.

Anyway, like I agreed, you can just use the other option, so it's not of great importance.

I think you are misreading me.

You say "once you control click on the background it will function just like a zoom tool onwards". But it won't do so onwards, unless you continue to always start from the background - you can't zoom directly on an object even if you originally started by control clicking on the background as the previous command. So it still works differently, that's what I'm saying.

Anyway, like I agreed, you can just use the other option, so it's not of great importance.

Lagerfeldt, I think I finally understood the confusion you are talking about! I really don't mind the nitpicking, because since I teach Logic, it's important for me to avoid confusion whenever I can.

I'll stow it in a corner of my brain and try to keep it in mind!

Seems like there might be interest for an online course, David. Not sure if that is something you want to pursue, but if it were spaced out over weeks rather than days, I'd probably sign up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually been planing a course like that for the past few months... so you might see that in the near future!

• 1 year later...

69. Pressing the Control Key and clicking on the background of the Arrange Windowallows you to:

A. Navigate left, right, up or down.

B. Use the Zoom tool.

C. Import an Audio File.

D. Does nothing.

I don't like this question. I got it wrong when guessing off the top of my head, but I use this key command all the time to access the zoom tool. If the question asked "Can you Zoom In?" then I'd be able to do it like it was second nature.

In the real world, is an artist going to ask me "Hrmmm, what does the control key do?" Or are they going to ask, "Can you zoom in so I can see the sound wave in finer detail?"

I don't like this question. I got it wrong when guessing off the top of my head, but I use this key command all the time to access the zoom tool. If the question asked "Can you Zoom In?" then I'd be able to do it like it was second nature.

In the real world, is an artist going to ask me "Hrmmm, what does the control key do?" Or are they going to ask, "Can you zoom in so I can see the sound wave in finer detail?"

Are you saying you would rather have the question be:

To zoom in on an area,

1. Hold Control and rubber-band,

2. Hold Option and rubber-band,

3. Hold Shift and rubber-band,

4. None of the above.

Would that be better? If not, how would you word the question? Keep in mind it's not easy to design a multiple answer test, and it would be cost-prohibitive to have one-on-one testing. I would love to hear your input, and hopefully help design a better test.

Are you saying you would rather have the question be:

To zoom in on an area,

1. Hold Control and rubber-band,

2. Hold Option and rubber-band,

3. Hold Shift and rubber-band,

4. None of the above.

Would that be better? If not, how would you word the question? Keep in mind it's not easy to design a multiple answer test, and it would be cost-prohibitive to have one-on-one testing. I would love to hear your input, and hopefully help design a better test.

I'd reword the question by having it not on a piece of paper but on Logic Pro itself. So instead of choosing from 4 options, an orator would ask me "Can you zoom in for me?" and I would zoom in on Logic Pro. In a way this is harder because the answer is not restricted to 4 options on paper that represent a task, but the answer is the actual task itself.

As for cost-effeciency, you could ask a group of people to perform the same task and somehow have all the computers monitored as to make sure the correct task is performed.

Then again this test could be analogous to a written car exam where I would flunk, where as the actual driving test I could pass with flying colors. I can't remember English terms worth anything, but I know what to do with my hands. I know that's a problem, but realistically who on Earth is going to ask me what a key command does when in reality Logic Pro utilizes my knowledge of knowing how to perform a task, but not necessarily understanding what a key command represents in my head?

If this were a test for a Training Cert then I think questions testing knowledge on key commands from memory recall would be essential. But just to get a regular Cert I don't think the these type of questions are as practical as hand-ons-approach question would be.

I'd reword the question by having it not on a piece of paper but on Logic Pro itself. So instead of choosing from 4 options, an orator would ask me "Can you zoom in for me?" and I would zoom in on Logic Pro. In a way this is harder because the answer is not restricted to 4 options on paper that represent a task, but the answer is the actual task itself.

Would you pay an extra $250 to take that test? Most people wouldn't. A test is always going to be imperfect. Your solution is far from being ideal (aside from the fact that it would be much more expensive), because it means the teacher (or the person making you take the exam) would have control over the results of your test.

Picture this: I ask you "Can you zoom in for me?".

You say "Yes, sure" and use the zoom scrollbars. Me: "OK, but can you do it using key commands?". You: "Yeah" and control arrows.. still not the answer I want. Me: "What if you want to zoom in quickly on exactly this area of your arrange window?". You: "oh let me try, is it Option... or Shift-Option.. no wait... Control-Shift... no.... oh yeah it's Control-rubber band. OK so I'm going to be a good sport and count you right on that question.

Another student is taking the same exact test in China. He's answering the exact same way, except the teacher fails that question after the student tries the third unsuccessful combination of modifier keys. NOT A FAIR TEST!

What Apple is trying to do is a fair test across the world, which does NOT depend on the lax or severe judgement of a 3rd person, but only on the student. And at the same time, an economical solution so the teacher doesn't have to sit individually with each student for the duration of the test. Hence the multiple answer test.