Composing Timeless/Tempoless with Notation?

TheBarber

What would be the best way to not care about tempo and timing when creating a piano composition? I have great ideas but I find it very hard to keep it on track because I'm getting out of time with real time recording and the notation is all over the staff and what not.

Maybe I should just play and then type in the notes manually? Or step record the notes?

Or would you recommend something else?

I'm assuming that you would like to write the piece, while in the "zone" and concern yourself with tempo, time, and notation after the fact.

Is this helpful to you?

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=19984

You could do what is suggested, then beat map the recorded slaps, or taps. Check the manual for beat mapping. It's great.

I would recommend chapter 7 from David's book,"Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8- Creating and Producing Professional Music". (see the sticky at the top of the main Logic forum.)

I'd also recommend Tutorial 15 from Jay Asher's book Going Pro with Logic Pro 8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Record it all out, and do a couple comps. User markers to mark the sections where you know the tempo is going to stay the same. So like, part A is at 82, part B is 79, etc.

Once you have it divided up into pieces of general tempos, just use the global track to note those tempo changes. Use your ear or the BPM counter to get an idea of what tempo each section is at, that way when you make those changes in the global track, all your stuff will still fit neatly into the grid, no quantizing required.

Honestly a good way to check, use those apple loops. They're corny as hell but are super helpful in finding out tempos. I sampled some Russian folk crap that across 8 bars fell into 3 different tempos (I ended up trashing it and just chopping the audio to fit haha) and having an easy in time drumline instead of a click was super helpful. As I hope this was!