iTunes Routing?

android

The more I get into MainStage, the more I'm enjoying it! Thanks to everyone here on the list for their input, tips, and suggestions.

Right now I'm programming out our set for our next concert, and I read about assigning and AppleScript to play backing tracks, and it works wonderfully! My question is, is there a way to route the output of iTunes into MainStage and control it via a channel strip? I'm currently running our setup on a 2.33GHz MacBook Pro hooked up to MOTU UltraLite. I tried sending it through Audio Hijack and assigning the output of Audio Hijack to a different output, then patching that into another input on the UltraLite, but that didn't work. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Andrew

• 5 months later...
The more I get into MainStage, the more I'm enjoying it! Thanks to everyone here on the list for their input, tips, and suggestions.

Right now I'm programming out our set for our next concert, and I read about assigning and AppleScript to play backing tracks, and it works wonderfully! My question is, is there a way to route the output of iTunes into MainStage and control it via a channel strip? I'm currently running our setup on a 2.33GHz MacBook Pro hooked up to MOTU UltraLite. I tried sending it through Audio Hijack and assigning the output of Audio Hijack to a different output, then patching that into another input on the UltraLite, but that didn't work. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Andrew

I haven't done this in some time, but it should be relatively painless. Requires Audio HiJack to tap the outputs of iTunes, and Soundflower (free) to act as the software bus to route audio into MainStage inputs.

Audio Hijack has a plug-in that allows you to set the output to a specific device, in this case, the virtual interface Soundflower. In MainStage, you'll need to set the input to Soundflower and the output to your normal audio hardware.

If you've correctly tapped iTunes from Audio HIJack, then you should see the audio flowing into MainStage.

In MainStage, you'll need to add an audio channel and set input to 1-2, or whatever channel you used in soundflower.

I don't have time to write a clear step-by-step, but I think all of the ingredients are above.. experiment and you'll get it going in no time..

Brillant!

The main reason is si I can control the iTunes volume with midi. Prehapes there is a script that could do this.

I wanted to run everything in stereo but had problem with playing the backing tracks via the EXS24. It wouldn't be great if there was a player that could play stereo + a click as simple as in iTunes.

Brillant!

The main reason is si I can control the iTunes volume with midi. Prehapes there is a script that could do this.

I wanted to run everything in stereo but had problem with playing the backing tracks via the EXS24. It wouldn't be great if there was a player that could play stereo + a click as simple as in iTunes.

Now you can just use MainStage 2 to play backing tracks.. its much more reliable and integrated with MainStage.

I do think the CPU usage is lower. I kept my foot on the sustain to see what would happen. it didnt seem to bother it. Im using a 2.4 macbook pro with 4 gb.

My mag lock power must of come out at sound check and i didnt realise. I was running the gig with the apogee and the oxygen all off themac battery too.

I think mainstage 2 is the best think since mainstage 1.

I've got four of our band songs using backing, I have set up a playback track for the loops, fx and key parts, and another playback track with the click for the drummer going to output 3-4.

Ill let you know tomorrow how it goes tonight.

I that goes well i might split the key parts onto another playback track so I can adjust the mix live.

Righteeo

It worked great. The only thing id say is that make sure your backing tracks are cut to the end of the song eg. no longer. if the track is still playing and you change patch then the track for that patch will start.

My setup:

10 patches, on patch for each song. those then patches are within a set which is within a concert.

I used the play back plug in at patch level for the 4 songs that have backing tracks.

I set up 2 play back plugins, one for the click and one for the backing. grouped them to A. assigned them to a drum pad in layout mode and assigned that pad to the top key on my midi controller. Then wrote "go baby!" on that key with a marker.

I send the click to bus 9 and bus 9 to output 3/4 of my saffire

I send the backing straight to output 1/2

I send all channel strips and effect trigged by my midicontroller to bus 10 and bus ten to output 1/2

i then assigned 4 faders to control, backing, click, midicontroller, and main output 1/2

works well.

I havent been able to use the sync settings yet - i cant work them out. I bounced a file in logic 9. I got the markers but not the tempo track. Not sure about this yet but Im sure someone has figured this out.