PPC G5 2.5GHz Quad or PPC G5 2.3GHz Dual for LOGIC PRO 7 ?

Hello,

I have to buy a new plateform and I'm hesitating.

Because it is said that the PPC G5 2.5GHz Quad is not performing (in quad system) for Logic Pro 7 (only in a dual way). Is it true?

So is it better, to buy just a PPC G5 2.3GHz Dual for Logic Pro 7?

Give it a way to have a quad with compatibilities with Logic Pro 7?

Thanks for answers...

Bastien

from Lausanne - Switzerland...

Well, people are saying that if you run the node app on your quad whilst running logic, you will get all 4 cores. Equally, this is sure to be addressed soon in a Logic update, whether it be 7.3 or 8 or whatever. I would go for the quad. Even if it only uses 2 cores, it's faster that the 2.3, and you will probably soon be able to unlock that extra power!

OK thank you Lupin,

But,...

Could we be really pretty sure that Logic Pro will be updated for the quad system?

Has the Logic's team already said that they will create anything for a compatibility in a quad system?

If it's not their priority, I guess we can wait a long time before this quad compatibility.

Does anybody know anything about the Logic's team projects with the quad?

Thanks for future answers.

Bastien

Hi,

I've buyed a quad and i had same questions than you, i think there is an update comming soon, at the same time, it depends of your working way, if you're recording a lot of tracks it could be a problem, i have a studio (not home studio) and it's only when i mix that i need a lot of computer's power (plug-ins and others stuff) so i think à quad is the right option, try to imagine what do you will need in a future from your computer and take your decision. :wink:

Bastien - I have the Quad but the DC 2.3ghz is a kick ass machine. Logic is so efficient with plugins you will be hard-pressed to push the limits of the 2.3ghz. It's true the Quad uses only 2 of the 4 cores unless you enable nodes. Enabling node will double you latency even when using Nodes on the same machine. If Apple releases a version of Logic supporting four cores then I would say the Quad is worth the extra money, but under the current implimentation I'd recommend the dual 2.3ghz.

In fact, after having called several technicians, I don't know what to buy yet....!!!!

But, one of them tell me that Logic Pro 7 is alright with the Quad system.

The energy of 4 cores is present.

But, if we look at the computer's infomations, we can read "only 2 cores in use".

So,...

Is it true that the power of 4 cores is opperarting with Logic Pro 7?

This is a very limited test, but will give you a small idea of some aspects.

How many stereo tracks in 24 bits 44.1kHz with SpaceDesigner reverb (standard preset) can the machine run?

Model: G5 Quad 2.5

RAM: 2.5 Gb

Audio hard disk: Maxtor 250GB 7200 SATA

System: 10.4.6

Logic: Pro 7.1.1

Sound card type & name: FireWire/Motu 828 mkII

Buffer Size: 128

Process Buffer Range: Medium

Number of stable tracks: 56

Model: G5 Dual 2.3

RAM: 2.5 Gb

Audio hard disk: Seagate 7200/8 SATA

System: 10.4.6

Logic: Pro 7.2.1

Sound card type & name: PCI/RME Hammerfall 96/52

Buffer Size: 128

Process Buffer Range: Medium

Number of stable tracks: 38

The performance on a G5 Dual 2.3 is very impressive, on my system I can have 138 tracks of audio and absolutely tons and tons of plug-ins running.

hi bastien

i have a 4 month old quad in mint condition if you are interested in buying one.

its £2300 at the apple website where i bought it,

im selling it for £1800, its perfect, and still has apple warenty left on it :-)

let me know if any of you are interested in buying it |:-)

thanks