Triggering live beats in MainStage?

Pete

I'm having a heck of a time trying to trigger beats in MainStage from my keyboard. Either with RMX Stylus or UltraBeat.

In Stylus it works but I have to hold the key down. I'm new to that program and not sure if that isn't how it's supposed to work anyway.

However, UltraBeat works just as it documented for me in Logic but in MainStage keyboard keys will only sound single hits, not trigger designated patterns.

Strangely, it _does_ work for me in the template/setup example that has an UB patch called "DownTempo Dub" but whenever I try and make my own new channel strip- say with an UltraBeat kit and save the Toggle Button and Trigger modes ready and lit up in Blue --when they come back up in MainStage, the pattern's are not triggering. What am I missing? Why isn't this working?

Hi Pete!

I can't help much with RMX (never worked with it) but I can certainly help with ultrabeat!

Ultrabeat's patterns are triggered by very low notes on your keyboard(C-1 to B0). If you click on the "drums"channel strip in the "Downtempo Dub" patch, you can see in the inspector that the notes you play are being transposed down a full two octaves. Thus, ultrabeat receives the message that you are triggering those very low notes.

In any drum preset you make where you would like to trigger patterns, simply click on the channel strip with Ultrabeat, and in the "key range" settings, ensure the "transpose" option is set to -24 (or whatever setting your particular setup calls for (you can see the midi data coming into mainstage through the monitor at the top center)) Also ensure the sequencer is turned on within Ultrabeat and that "pattern mode" is turned on. You can also choose if you would like notes to toggle the patterns on and off.

Hopefully this helps!

-Kenny

• 3 weeks later...