I/O for Logic System

Hey everybody, I just got logic in and I am having fun with that. Now all I need is a good way to plug things in. Right now all I am using is a tascam 122 interface. I am looking for a little more and at this point in time, money is not too much of a problem.

I am looking for something with adaquate ins, around 10 - 14 becuase I want to be able to record bands as a band, but this is seemingly confusing. I was looking at the MOTU HD192 core system, but that also has no pres. I am definitely going to need those. What seems to work best with Logic.

Also what is the point of the Apogee Symphony card? Is it just a card that has a connector to fit certain gear into and if so, what protocol is it.

I would also like to have a control board of some sort. Moving a mouse around is not near as efficent as something you can actually touch. For this I am lost. I think the main thing is that I am somehow missing some piece of information as to how all of this fits together. I am ordering a power mac soon, maybe waiting for the Intels, not sure yet.

If you guys have tried anything out that seems to work or have any suggestions, let me know! Thanks for your help. Also, if you need me to clarify anything let me know.

I have used a MOTU 828 (the first version). 8 in 8 out. Works perfectly with Logic. I believe the Mk2 will integrate well. Actually, the quality of MOTU products is simply amazing... and they are pretty quick in updating drivers, etc. I never needed support (which is a good thing) so I don't know how they rank in that category.

Speaking of control surfaces, I just came back from the States and brought home a Tascam FW-1082. For US$599 / 8 ins + pretty decent control surface. Its working pretty well. Logic recognized it imediately, drivers for Intel Macs are ready, everything cool (except for the bundled cubase, which won't install in an Intel Mac, but then again, If you have Logic Pro, why should you care anyway?).

Cheers

I have looked at all of those options and they seem good its just I am going to end up needed more inputs if I want to be able to record bands live. The only option that seems good for what I need right now is the MOTU HD192 but, again, it has no pres. Any suggestions for pres that would work well? Or maybe I am looking over a I/O option that would fit my need that does have pres.

I think I am like the idea of the MOTU 896HD system. It looks like what I am looking for.

One question though, if it already has built in preamps, and I use a separate preamp through that, is that really going to make a differance or is it just going to make it sound bad?