Logic Pro 11 will be released any time now!

Test Track... as promised

I created a test track which consists of one channel strip preset based on Ultrabeat + 24 EVP88 tracks each of these going through a comp + flanger + Space Designer. The EVP tracks were playing a progression of 7/9 chords (so more than 5 note polifony, if you consider the release time)

Every instrument / sample comes standard with Logic Pro 7, so anyone with Pro 7 should be able to run it.

First time I ran the track I experienced a hickup when the 15th EVP / SD instance started playing. Then I went back and tried again... I think the computer was "warmer" this time and it ran from track 1 to track 23 without a glitch. Then again, track 1 to 23 without a glitch... so I think that's the limit on this little white baby I got here.

Just to remind you my system is as follows:

MacBook 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM, original 5400 rpm drive

Tascam FW-1082 with a control panel setting of 3ms latency

Logic Pro 7.2

I/O buffer size = 256

Larger Disk Buffer Disabled (I don't really know if it makes a difference)

Process Buffer Range = medium (???same here)

I'll try to upload the file so you can test and share the results you get on your machines.

Hope it helps.

PS. tryied uploading but the file is 2.5MB in size, so it seems it exceeds the limit. I'll try to reduce its size somehow...

Thanks, great info (and pretty amazing that you can run all that on a Mac Book!).

I'll try to reduce its size somehow...

Make sure you just upload the .lso, not the whole project folder. I don't think the .lso file itself should be anywhere near 2.5M? Also, right click on it and use 'Create archive' to make a .lso.zip file: takes less server space and faster for users to download.

Wow. On my 1.67GHz G4 Powerbook, brand new, 2G RAM, bought last Xmas, I can barely run 3 EVP 88 with the Ultrabeat, one of the EVP88 I had to bypass all other plug-ins on its channel strip, and the Audio meter is maxed out (but the song play). If I try adding the Space Designer on the 3rd EVP88, I get the CoreAudio overload alert!!

Wow... I guess that kinda confirms my impressions on the Book. The performance meters are also maxed out from the beginning on my systems, but it plays normally.

Did you try running again, to make sure your drives, circuits, whatever are "warm and ready" ?

... amazing...

BTW, check out Future Music's review on the MacBook Pro (latest issue I believe). From the tests they ran it seems the BookPro consistently outperforms the G5 (by G5 they mean the 2.0 GHz Power Mac, not the iMac).

I'm curious if you guys can confirm that, by testing this file on various systems.

cheers,

Wow... I guess that kinda confirms my impressions on the Book. The performance meters are also maxed out from the beginning on my systems, but it plays normally.

Did you try running again, to make sure your drives, circuits, whatever are "warm and ready" ?

... amazing...

It runs ok here on my first gen 2.0 w/ 2 gig ram Logic Pro 7.2.1 with only occasional system overload messages. If I disable 1 channel strip it runs better.

Hi.

My g5 dual 2.0 PPC/1gig with LP 7.2.1 got to bar 121 (track 16). But I suppose that the true limit is between 105-121 since it didn't get there every time (but for most part yes).

After that I switched first 16 SD's sample rate to /2 and toggled the preserve length on. This way I was able to run this song to its end (24 tracks/bar 193). So I got 8 tracks more.

I'm satisfied.

I

I created it on 7.2, so given the reports it seems it will only open on 7.2 or later.

Unfortunately... but as soon as I get home tonight I'll post specific instructions so you can recreate the track on 7.1 (if you want, of course)