Assigning volume pedal in Mainstage layered patch

jagalactic

I'm new to serious Mainstage programming. I'm working on replicating the 32 or so patches that I use on live gigs, so that I can migrate to Mainstage as my primary sound module. My general purpose gigging keyboard is a Yamaha S90, and it works fine as a USB midi controller for Mainstage. I even used it on a gig earlier this week (though only with slightly modifled stock patches, and not very many of them).

One of my favorite techniques is to program a layered patch where only one layer responds to the volume pedal (and that layer defaults to 0 volume). Then I can play (for example) Rhodes and bring up a string layer with the volume pedal.

I'm getting confused and frustrated with the controller assignment process, however. I think the S90 must be transmitting the volume pedal (AKA foot controller 1) as controller 7, because by default all patches (and layers within patches) respond to it as a volume control. I added a knob in layout mode, assigned the volume pedal to that knob, and assigned that knob to the channel strip volume for the string layer (but not the rhodes layer). The only channel strip whose fader moves when I move the pedal is the strings layer, but it still controls volume for both layers. Is controller 7 some sort of funky special case?

Can anybody provide (or point me to) a procedure that would result in my Rhodes layer ignoring my volume pedal, but my strings layer responding to it?

Thanks,

John

Well, I must have been smoking some bad crack (as opposed to the good stuff, I guess) because it's working now, and I didn't really change anything.

The S90 turns out to transmit the foot controller 1 as midi controller #11. All I had to do to get the Rhodes channel strip to ignore it was check the box to ignore controller 11 in the appropriate channel strip inspector.

I'm not sure why that was hard to figure out...oh yeah, the bad crack...

Cheers,

John