Tries to save the song before I even have a chance to record

Xtine

Hello, I am a new user of Logic. I'm running Logic Platinum 6.2.1 on a PowerMac running OSX 10.2.8. I'm using a Tascam US-122 audio/midi interface.

The problem that I'm having is that when I select one of the Audio tracks and get ready to record, I hit the Record button and Logic tries to save the song. The song hasn't even been created yet, but it's trying to save it without giving me one chance to record anything. Previous to this, when I'd try to record, I'd hit the Record button and start playing but no sound would be recorded whatsoever. The field where the notes were supposed to be recorded was completely blank. I tried to figure out what was wrong and clicked around in Logic's preferences a bit, and now I'm having this problem.

I know the sound is getting into Logic because when I click on the track I selected and pull up the mixer or whatever that screen is, I can see the light going up and down whenever I pluck a string. However, Logic refuses to record the sound.

Sorry if this sounds amateurish....I really need some help here!

Thanks,

Chris

I hit the Record button and Logic tries to save the song.

It doesn't try to save the song, it asks you where you want to save the Audio Files.

This wouldn't happen if you checked the "Create Project Folder" option when you create your new song, or at least saved your new song as a Project before starting recording any Audio.

Hi, David- thanks very much! I now got to the point where I'm clicking the Record button, and the bar is moving across the field. I play notes, however, nothing gets recorded. It's the same problem I had in the beginning. I play and no notes appear on the track, even though the program says it's recording.

I know the sound is getting into Logic because when I double click the track I get the Enviornment screen, where I can see a light going up and down each time I pluck a string. It's just not recording what I'm playing. Is it something obvious that I'm overlooking once again?

Thanks very much for your time,

Chris

Hey there! Ok, by rec-arm you mean clicking on the R so that it turns red, right? That means this track is the one I will be recording on. Ok, did that. I saw a light appear that I assume meant signal was getting in there. Ok, so I clicked "record". The program said it was recording, but when I played, no notes were recorded on the screen- AGAIN. It's the same problem I've been having. Am I doing something wrong?

BTW, the light that indicates that signal is getting in there seems to appear whenever it wants to. The track is rec-armed right now and selected, but there is no light to indicate the signal is there.

Xtine

Ok, I figured out PART of the problem- a faulty cable from the guitar to the amp. The light would appear in the meter every time the cable moved, making it seem as though it had a will of it's own:).

BUT STILL- even now that I've identified and solved that problem, still when the light is in the meter indicating signal, and I click "record", the bar moves across the screen, I play, and no notes appear on the track the way they ought to.

WHAT GIVES???:(