Logic Pro, Vienna Symphony Library & ExsManager

Habbo

Dear experts,

For my orchestral arrangements I need to have lot's of instruments with different articulations opened in my arr. window to have them 'under my fingers' (I bought almost everything from VSL). But opening just a fraction of the desired amount of instruments is impossible.

I've tried to solve the problem with Redmatics ExsManager like the VSL 'guys' told me.

Everything worked fine with the samplemerged instruments so I didn't expect any problems until I tried to load more than a certain amount of instruments again.

The ExsManager didn't make any difference.

Logic still crashes after 22x perf leg instr. No matter if I load the 'normal ones' or the MRG instruments.

Just to be sure I started all over again from the scratch:

I work with a G5 dual2GHz/8GB RAM.

Tested all the hardware first which seemed to be OK.

I emptied an extra internal HD (wrote all data to zero) to become the 2nd startup disk; installed the latest panther; installed Logic Pro 7.0, the ExsManager AND NOTHING ELSE. I emptied two Lacie big extremes 500GB/800FW (wrote all data to zero) and started all over again with filling one disk with samples from the VSL-DVD's. I scanned all the Exs instr & samples with the ExsManager and directed the merged samples (2GB each) to the other 500GB disk.

I started with a 'clean' factory autoload with initialized prefs, just increased the number of tracks to the maximum and tried to load as many VSL/EXS-instr. as I could.

And here are the results now:

'normal' VSL instruments: 106 max.

perf.leg. instruments: 22 max.

merged VSL: more than 50, probably up to 106 too.

merged perf.leg. instruments: 22 max.

This is off cause without any other plug-in, reverb or whatever.

So, I see no difference between loading the normal and the MRG-instruments. After loading more than 106 normal or 22 perf.leg instruments, Logic just crashes without any (memory) warning.

The EXS settings I use are:

Virtual memory: on

Disk drive speed: medium

HD recording activity: average

So the RAM allocation is 15.2 MB/instr.

According to the ExsManagers manual, I should be able to load an almost unlimited amount of MRG instr. sinds the total amount of merged VSL samples is 130 (much less than 10000, Logics maximum!

Does anyone have any suggestions, because I'm rather desperate now.

Greetings, Habbo