Has anyone used the ensemble yet?

Or even heard it or seen it being used. Just want to know becuase it does seem kind of pricey compared to other options out there. I think it is awesome that it works natively with mac and logic, but still, seems expensive and not worth it.

Anyone have any other suggestion if this is not a good option? I have the money to purchase anything around this price range now, just don't want to waste it all if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

I have used it, however I don't believe it is shipping yet.

I don't think it is pricey for what it claims to offer. However:

1) It is not shipping yet.

2) It is brand new, and not tested by the wide range of systems that all potential customers use.

If you can wait a few months, then you'll be able to compare the Ensemble with other interfaces in its price range. Right now you can't.

If you can't wait, go for RME Fireface.

I am only too aware of that.

I've been using Logic for a couple of months now without an interface - everything MIDI or apple loops for audio. I'm a singer/guitarist mostly and miss the sound of my acoustic strumming chords in the mix.

It has to ship eventually. I'm willing to wait a bit yet, because I don't see anything out there that quite compares.

Paul

Like I said: the problem is even when it ships, chances are the drivers won't be stable at first, or who knows what could be wrong. You can't test every possible Computer/Audio Interface/DAW... combination in a lab. It's only once the product is out that you have a large customer-base doing the testing for you.

If you're a professional, you don't want to be a part of that pool of beta-testers.

My 2cents: get something that works now, or get the Ensemble about 3 months after it ships, if reports from customers/beta-testers are positive.

I understand your concerns. I look at it this way . . .

I'm not a pro and my needs are quite simple, really. I've noticed that I rarely have issues with software and/or hardware - virtually never experience the kinds of crashes and issues that the 'power users' often report on these (and other) boards. My strong suspicion is that I'm not going to be pushing the thing beyond its limits.

Second, those few people in the world who have used the Ensemble seem to be quite taken with it. I may be misguided here, but I do have a fair degree of faith in Apogee's quality. There are very few naysayers in regards to Apogee (although I've heard the odd complaint about Apple ( 8 ^ ) ).

I'm not overly keen on getting a stop-gap. Money on something that I know I won't need long-term is not an option on my limited budget.

Finally, I've pretty much committed to the Ensemble because - as I said in an earlier post - there really isn't a comparable box on the market. And before I'm flamed - I know there are lots of I/O boxes out there. The Ensemble is unique in that it was designed for Logic, has Apogee quality and is in my price range.

I'll wait - but goodness I'm getting impatient.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Please forgive my ignorance with this topic, but how could I incorporate the Ensemble into a (as an example) large scale recording environment.

Right now, I have a fairly modesat setuo (quite small actually), but I am )hopefully) going to be expanding so that I can "put my name out there" with the local musicians .... for recording, etc.

I have been reading about the Ensemble for a little while, saw a short video @ Sonic State, and poked around a couple of forums.... but I have to say that I have been trying to figure out a way to build a full fledged system around this unit.

(i.e.) Do I get a large mixer .... how about an express card from Apogee .... what about outboard gear ..... yadda-yadda-yadda. Pretty silly - I know, but still curious - & a tad bit anxious!

thanks for the input!

H2O

Please forgive my ignorance with this topic, but how could I incorporate the Ensemble into a (as an example) large scale recording environment.

Right now, I have a fairly modesat setuo (quite small actually), but I am )hopefully) going to be expanding so that I can "put my name out there" with the local musicians .... for recording, etc.

I have been reading about the Ensemble for a little while, saw a short video @ Sonic State, and poked around a couple of forums.... but I have to say that I have been trying to figure out a way to build a full fledged system around this unit.

(i.e.) Do I get a large mixer .... how about an express card from Apogee .... what about outboard gear ..... yadda-yadda-yadda. Pretty silly - I know, but still curious - & a tad bit anxious!

thanks for the input!

H2O

For a larger system building around the Apogee Symphony cards will be the way to go IMHO.