Running samples in mainstage?

songboy

I have been trying to figure this out all day. I am trying to run samples out of mainstage via EXS 24 sampler. I have watched every damn tutorial out there and no one seems to address this obvious flaw. I have the sample loaded up, set to a single key and it plays fine, EXCEPT I either get the choice of running it as a one shot (plays once and stops) or looping it, but here is the kicker ....NOT BOTH!!!? So basically I have to either hit the key I have assigned to the sample every two bars (sample length) or I have to sit there and hold the damn thing down the whole time. At this point I figured, "no biggie, I'll set it up as a loop and I'll just assign that key to be a toggle style button so I can hit it once to play, and again to stop." Well, that doesn't seem to be possible. I even get a play/stop option on the edit screen of mainstage, but everytime I set that up, it negates the note value I am trying to trigger. So my questions are

1 How do I teach mainstage to let me toggle on/off note values so I don't have to continually hold down a note to play the sample for say, an entire song??

2 If mainstage offers a Play/Stop parameter, what the hell is is for?

I want to mention that I tried doing all this through ultrabeat, but still no success. I don't feel like a stupid person, but apparently I have to spend ridiculous amounts of time learning how to do, what I would think to be easy stuff. Is there a really good book like "how to use Logic/Mainstage for F@#$ing Idiots" or something? Because the manuals that came with the software don't really help for crap and anytime I need to learn something, I either have to watch low quality you tube videos where you can't read any of the text or file stuff on the screen or I have to post a question on here and pretty much give up until someone is nice enough to tell me how (which I am extremely grateful for)? I have a lot of stuff to do in the studio but I end up wasting hours of time trying to figure out the smallest task.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...