Worth waiting for Logic Pro 8?

I can't decide whether to buy Logic Pro 7.2 or wait for Logic Pro 8.

Logic 7 was released in September 2004 - almost two years ago. With the 7.1 and 7.2 updates heralding relatively little in the way of new features, I'm guessing the Logic team have been putting most of their resources into a completely new version, which could be available very soon.

I realise if I buy Logic 7 now, I'll be able to upgrade. But of course I don't want to buy today if Logic 8 is in the shops tomorrow!

Anyone have any idea (or guess!) as to when Logic 8 should be available?!

Thanks

Mark

I would buy 7.2 now.

8 could be out soon or not. Anyone that knows ain't allowed to say.

There's no major music trade shows in the near future - it's normal for announcements to made there. Also Apple have just finished a US tour promoting 7 (or maybe it's still going on?).

My guess... The AES show in October at the earliest. http://www.aes.org/events/121/

i don't think even the developers know when 8 will be ready. 7.2 was a crossgrade, so apart from a few little bugs, i agree it is probably not worth going to 7.2 from 7.1.1. esp if 7.1.1 is working alright for you.

i know that they are planning a big revision of score (and not before time) and there a lots of requests for them to get there teeth into, but i think we are going to wait a long time for 8. at least a year and probably longer, but that is a complete guess so don't hold me to it. i'm just going on previous major releases and suspecting this one will take longer.

Would be a shame if it took as long as another year, but you could be right. Logic 5 came out in May 2002 - so the gap between that and Logic 6 was 28 months. If the gap this time around was the same, I'd be waiting until January 2007!

Mark, if you want to buy Logic, it's because you need to make some music, right? Get Logic 7 and start making music today. That way when Logic 8 finally gets out, you'll be a step ahead, knowing already so much about how Logic works. You might have to pay $199 or $299 to upgrade, well think of it as the price to pay to use Logic 7 for a year or two before Logic 8 gets out.

If you can wait, you might as well buy now and chalk the time inbetween the upgrade for learning the program. I doubt 8 is going to be radically different from 7, so you'll want the time to really get comfortable with the application.

infact, unless anyone here works for apple and knows, logic pro 8 might be buggier than 7.2 seems to be (by all accounts on the forums - i'm still a safe coward on 7.1!) Logic 8 could be a travesty of programming and we'll probably all upgrade and then downgrade again to use logic 7.2 etc etc........er.....i don't think 8 will be bad, personally, but that's just cos' I'm an apple optimist. but if it is s*?/ then at least you'll be able to use 7.2!

personally i first bought logic at the end of the 5.5 era and am so glad i did, after i upgraded to 6 i had learnt the basics and then by the time i got 7 i was feeling much more comfortable and could pretty much appreciate sooo much more about the new features having got to grips with some of the basics. logic is still huge in terms of learning curve, so jump in - like david says - it's just gonna further your learning and it might make getting 8 a more exciting and less frustraing experience IMHO.

:wink:

Thanks for all your advice!

As its possible to buy Logic Pro 7.1 relatively cheaply on Ebay now (£250) (I have G5 there's no need for me to get 7.2), I've decided to go ahead and buy it!

I figure that when Logic 8 finally does come out, it will take a long time before it can be bought for less than the retail price, so it will probably work out cheaper to buy Logic 7 now, and the 8.0 upgrade as and when.

Will let you know how I get on....