Controlling VTRs with Logic Pro 7

yakeman

I'm looking it methods of controlling a Sony Digital Beta VTR (DVW A500) with Logic Pro 7. I have no idea how this can be done or even if it can be done. There has to be some sort of hardware USB or Firewire to RS422 in order to connect the 2 decives. What drivers are needed? Has anyone accomplished this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PeTe

You mean you want to sync them?

If your VTR has a MTC in/out, it's easy, simply cable it into a MIDI interface and sync it with Logic via MTC. Does your VTR have MTC through its RS422 interface? Then you might not even need a MIDI interface.

If your VTR has a SMPTE in, you'll need a MTC>SMPTE converter to have Logic be the master and send MTC>SMPTE to your VTR.

If your VTR has neither, you could stripe a frame-locked LTC track on your video tape, or use the VITC and get a box to convert that into MTC to have your VTR be the master and send MTC to Logic. Or the other way around ....

A good place to start would be to get a Unitor 8 MkII (Emagic) or a MIDI Timepiece AV (MOTU). Both of those interfaces have a lot of options to send and/or receive LTC and VITC and convert to/from MTC.

By the way, if you want to score a movie, the easy way to do it is to digitize the movie and have it as a proxy movie (Low-res) on your computer, so that you can import it in Logic. Much faster to work with.

If this is all chinese to you, I recommend reading this article:

http://www.philrees.co.uk/articles/timecode.htm