RME FF800 + Monitor Level Control?

Hey Guys,

I know a lot of you are using the FF800 and I figure that some of you must be mixing totally in the box as well. I just got some spankin new M&K powered monitors (stunning BTW) and am going out to pick up the RME this weekend, but had one reservation: how do those of you who are sans analog mixer deal with monitor level switching and the RME? Are you actually going to the software faders every time or is there a way around this? I have no room for a mixer on this desk :)

Thanks,

Joe

i used to have a motu 896 before getting an RME FF800.

i used to have the motu main out wired directly to my monitors, therefore the volume knob was essential to me...

until the day that the left side of my main outs crapped out. i then had to wire up outs 1+2 to my technics DJ console to have control over the volume. i've heard of another person having exactly the same problem (same channel) with a similar card. i think it was either an 896 or a 896HD.

anyway, even before this bad experience, i'd also 'felt' the volume button to be a bit cheap, not durable. i hope that MOTU have changed these knobs on the newer interfaces. the RME knobs feel WAY more sturdy, and seeem to have much finer resolution for precise trimming.

the motu was a good soundcard, and the drivers rock solid, but i'm much happier with the RME.

i've stuck to the DJ console method for adjusting my listening volume, but there are other solutions. such as:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/assets/images/products/powermate/prod_powermate_sub01b.jpg

good luck!

Edited by beatz

Thanks for the tips guys. I thought about MIDI control, and with all of the analog gear I have routed with dual monitor systems and a sub now, I went out and got the Big Knob controller from Mackie. Pricey for what it does, but it gets the job done well. Its an unfortunate thing for the RME to lack this feature, though with everything else that it packs in at such a low price point you gotta give them credit in every other department!

-Joe