Logic Synths and MIDI controls.

Sepp Ultura

Hi Folks!

I'm having a little problem here. I know that the Logic synths have a certain amount of midi control numbers mapped to their parameters (for the ES1 these are 12 - 31 and 102 - 115).

Now, when I hook up my Oxgen 8v2 to the computer, the round knobs send CCs from 102 - 109 (I've set it up that way), and without any mapping or setting up 'round knobs' in Mainstage the parameters of the ES1 follow my controllers.

Shouldn't it be possible to set up a 'round knob' in Mainstage, which reacts to CC 102 and then map this to, say, the cutoff of the ES1? But when I do it that way, not only the cutoff moves but also the 'Modulation Envelope form slider' moves along (which is the default mapping of the ES1, looked it up in the manual).

Isn't it possible to deactivate these default mappings? I just can't find a way around this problem.

I know that I could set up my Oxygen differently, but that's a hell of a workaround. The problem is that I use Mainstage to get the sound of the Logic Synths into my Ableton Live setup, meaning that Ableton Live is controlling the Synths. I'm routing the sound into Live via Soundflower.

So, I've set up Live to receive MIDI from the Oxygen, send it out again through the Oxygen MIDI-Out. Then I go into the input of an other MIDI interface which is going into Mainstage. The problem here is that I can't prevent Mainstage from receiving MIDI messages from the Oxygen (I have only one computer available). Or is there a way to do that, as it is possible in Live to just deactivate MIDI input from certain devices?

I'm sorry for this horribly long post. But I hope I was clear enough and that someone might be able to help me.

So long,

Matt

I'm having a little problem here. I know that the Logic synths have a certain amount of midi control numbers mapped to their parameters (for the ES1 these are 12 - 31 and 102 - 115).

Isn't it possible to deactivate these default mappings? I just can't find a way around this problem.

That is a very good catch! There are actually more issues with these. But you can disable them, by adding knobs for the knobs on your keyboard to the workspace and assign them to the MIDI keyboard knobs. These knobs will be filtered automatically, if they are not auto-passthrough (Pitch Bend, Modulation, Volume, Pan, Expression and Sustain, which you probably want to forward to the channel strip)

But you can disable them, by adding knobs for the knobs on your keyboard to the workspace and assign them to the MIDI keyboard knobs. These knobs will be filtered automatically, if they are not auto-passthrough (Pitch Bend, Modulation, Volume, Pan, Expression and Sustain, which you probably want to forward to the channel strip)
Hmmm..the problem is that I'm already doing exactly that. And they are not filtered.. That's what's bothering me.. I can't get the Logic Instruments not to react to the messages..

Hmmm..the problem is that I'm already doing exactly that. And they are not filtered..

I've just tried it and the filtering works fine:

1. Open the Starter Concert

2. Replace the EVP88 with an ES1, leave the plugin UI open

3. Turn a offending MIDI knob on the MIDI controller: it should change in the ES1 plugin UI.

4. Go to layout mode

5. Add e.g. a knob to the workspace

6. Assign the knob to the MIDI controller knob, check that the MIDI message is right

7. Go back to Edit mode

8. Try again: the parameter in the ES1 no longer turns

Hmmm..the problem is that I'm already doing exactly that. And they are not filtered..

I've just tried it and the filtering works fine:

1. Open the Starter Concert

2. Replace the EVP88 with an ES1, leave the plugin UI open

3. Turn a offending MIDI knob on the MIDI controller: it should change in the ES1 plugin UI.

4. Go to layout mode

5. Add e.g. a knob to the workspace

6. Assign the knob to the MIDI controller knob, check that the MIDI message is right

7. Go back to Edit mode

8. Try again: the parameter in the ES1 no longer turns

I've tried this over and over again. I did exactly what you did before. But no results here.

I think I'm not getting the same results because of that:

The problem is that I use Mainstage to get the sound of the Logic Synths into my Ableton Live setup, meaning that Ableton Live is controlling the Synths. I'm routing the sound into Live via Soundflower.

So, I've set up Live to receive MIDI from the Oxygen, send it out again through the Oxygen MIDI-Out. Then I go into the input of an other MIDI interface which is going into Mainstage. The problem here is that I can't prevent Mainstage from receiving MIDI messages from the Oxygen (I have only one computer available). Or is there a way to do that, as it is possible in Live to just deactivate MIDI input from certain devices?

If I'd be able to tell Mainstage not to receive MIDI from the Oxygen, but only from the other MIDI input I'd be fine..

But thanks for you suggestions!!

Matt