Open midi file and press play

Drew

Hi there , i am new to this but i was wondering if i am able to open a midi file in Logic Pro 7 and have all the midi sounds assigned straight away. And then just press play. At the moment i have to go through each track and assign each instrument[ with the EXS24 or Garageband sounds] before i can hear any sound. Hope this is not a stupid question.

Cheers Drew

There are people here who are much more qualified to answer your question as I don't understand the first thing about the dreaded Environment. If you're talking about a Midi file such as those that use the Quicktime synth, your problem resides in the (dreaded) Environment.

You'll need to find an Environment that handles the QT thingy, there are plenty to be had around the web for free - There's one at the foot of this page: http://members.aon.at/prischl/LNG/Goodies.htm.

Open it up and import the Midi file.

Hope that helps but if there are any grown-ups who have a better solution...

One more point:

I find that when I do this and hit 'Play', it likes to play everything on the grand piano. Simply clicking on the individual tracks seems to remedy this.

It doesn't make any sense to me either.

On a more scurrilous note, this is a good way to get some 'performance' if, like me, one is instrumentally challenged. In the past I've downloaded piano pieces, sax solos etc. and modified them, changing the chords to fit my song, picking out the nice bits, chopping them up and so on. I always ensure the end result bears no resemblance to the original (better!) but invariably I get something I couldn't write from scratch or play.