tempo changing with audio files

Trixie

hello! i've found that during songwriting, i need to test some already recorded audio at different tempos. i'm aware of the tempo alternative tracks and have tried adjusting the tempo from there. not only does the click not match up, but the audio files themselves are not timed. should that be happening?

what is the best way to test different tempos (in the +/- 8bpm range) for already recorded audio? time stretching? creating apple loops?

thanks for all your help! much appreciated!

while i've got your attention david, one more quick question for ya.... :D

i've been delving into all the tempo features, and i've wondered about the "allow tempo change recording" recording option. i've had an experience during which audio was recorded over a tempo change in a song. everything sounded fine over the original section at the head with the tempo change happening. i wanted to cut and copy the section to another place later in the song, and everything went funny. once the audio was placed in a steady tempo, the audio (basically it was some pick up notes before the downbeat) got stretched out and the audio tracks that had these pick up notes didn't sync up anymore. but it wasn't just the pick ups that were effected; the whole file shifted around. i got around it by bouncing the original section and reimporting the bounces to use later in the track. it's my understanding that when audio is recorded, it's recorded at one second per second. changing the tempo and, as a result, the grid, only effects the positional reference used to mark beats and bars. should the audio be stretching like that (the tempo change was from 124 to 83 bpm)? what might this recording option have to do with this situation (it was unticked when the recording was done)? or, what does it do and when might i want to use it?

wanted to say that i've found this site to be the best resource for logic nerds. :) thanks for your generosity, david!

Thanks for all the kind words.

"Follow Tempo" doesn't need to be checked before recording. You only check it afterwards if you want to change the tempo of your song and you want the audio file to follow the new tempo.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how it works internally and if it is a simple timestretching like the time and pitch factory or if it uses a transient grid like the Apple Loops, so I wouldn't know how it reacts to complex situations like recording over a tempo change.