AKG C414 vs Shure KSM 32?

The C-414B-XLS is way more mic (switchable pattern, selectable rolloffs and pads) and way more money, not really a fair comparison.

I have a pair of the 414s, but i rarely use them for vox or acoustic guitar, preferring the R-121 or C-42 on acoustic or the TM-1 or 441 on vox. They are nice mics though, I love them on piano, drum overheads, and as a general stereo pair.

Currently, I *do* have the KSM 32 going into the Avalon. It's "nice" but not amazing. I find it accurate and clear.. but missing something. Someone suggested the C414 would be a logical step up (or a AT 4060 if I want a tube mic). I am just looking for a bump up in sound quality..

It is really hard to go wrong with a C414. In the past 25 years I have used it on everything from a snare to sampling a baby. I have 4 of these (2 buls) and they are always my go-to mics when I have to do a session in a hurry. I know how they sound and they have plenty of "air" for vocals. My favorite setting is the figure 8. Great sound in a properly treated room.

Just my opinion :)

BTW. I have both mics. Borrow a c414 and take it for a test drive.

Archived