Audio Interface?? - Logic and Protools compatible

If you won't need more than 48 tracks in Pro Tools, I would highly recommend avoiding an HD purchase. It would take an easy $20k to get up and running. For having both on one system, you might think about getting a sweet interface for Logic like the RME Fireface and get a cheap interface (like an Mbox, or maybe something from M-Audio) for Pro Tools LE that will basically act as a dongle. Using the Digidesign drivers inside Logic just blows...way too much tweaking required to get a stable system.

Or you could just go straight up M-Audio which will work with "M-Powered" Pro Tools, and they also provide separate drivers for Logic from what I understand.

Hope this helps.

_joe

thanks for the help guys.

I was leaning towards getting the Mbox 2, but after dwaynedelario's post.. i'm reconsidering...

I'm not sold on the sound quality of the m-audio units. and i doubt digi would create software on the same level to support the m-audio hardware.

i'm a protools guy at the core, trying to get back into Logic (i last used logic 4.8}

Is it really that bad setting up the Mbox 2 as the audio interface in logic? is the interaction still THAT bugged??

There's also midi on the mbox... would that also be a beast to config in LP7??

Thanks,

JC

{[G4 1.25 / 786 ram, OSX 10.3.9 / Logic Pro 7 / Protools LE / Reason 3]}

I'm new to the production side of things and I first started out with the Mbox and Pro Tools 6.9, I was happy and it was easy for me to learn. There was a few problems that had came up with Digi, one was I did not get any word of a Mbox 2 when it came out Sep 2005 and I bought the Mbox in July, and second I had issues with white noise most of the time, and two inputs weren't enough. Now it's almost a year and I'm using Logic Pro 7.2, Abelton Live 5, and Pro Tools M-Powered, but with a Project Mix I/O. I can tell you that the M-Powered version is the same minus the use of the D/V tool kit, and the Project Mix I/O is the best control surface if you use multiple DAW's IMO, I have no regrets with that 949.00 purchase!

Bottom line. Digidesign's core audio drivers are horrible and in my opinion unusable, when used with anything other than protools. It would be better to buy a focusrite saffire for Logic and a 002R for Protools.

my 2 cents

-ging

Wow Ging, what you say just gave me the chills.

Seems like Apple and Digi do NOT want to cooperate smoothly, politics maybe.

what about surface controlers that are expandable like the mackies or tascams which also have i/o, im asking this since you made the choice for running a digi 002 for pro tools very clearly., so is there a perfect solution fo something to run smoothly side by side with hardware that can run Pro Tools.

Digidesgns priority is their industry standard HD systems and pro products. It's not that they are at odds with Logic it's just that is doesn't matter to their business plan for their hardward (consumer) to work perfectly with other host programs. Protools LE is cripple to make it different from Protools HD. I find any way I look at a Protools LE system it will always fall short, if it didn't no one would buy HD.

I didn't mean to give you the impression that it wouldn't work at all. There are just better solutions available for a bit more money.

I haven't worked with too many control surface / interface combo's.

The options are:

1) Digi 002R for both Logic and PRotools

2) Digi 002R for PT and Saffire / motu / or metric halo for Logic

3) M-audio firewire interface M-powered Protools and the same interface for Logic

Option 2 is by far the best option but costs a bit more. Mbox is usb and in my experience doesn't use cpu resources / screen redraw as efficeintly as the firewire boxes.

My 2 cents.

-ging

If it we're me and I had money, I'd get a decent interface for logic that had adat outputs like an 828 or something, then either get get the Digi 002R or an M-Audio FireWire 1814 that has ADAT as well, this way you could use the 002/1814 with ProtoolsLE/Mpowred and you'd have how many physical ins of the Pro Tools interface, then you could also use the ins of the 82 via ADAT.

I think this could also work vis versa with logic, have the 828 be the main interface and send audio to the 828 via ADAT from the pro tools interfaces....

this is assuming that you want to RECORD more than 2 tracks in pro tools at the same time,

I have an Mbox one and a Presonus firepod, I just track in Logic and if I HAVE to use pro tools, I just dump it over there.

Digidesgns priority is their industry standard HD systems and pro products. It's not that they are at odds with Logic it's just that is doesn't matter to their business plan for their hardward (consumer) to work perfectly with other host programs. Protools LE is cripple to make it different from Protools HD. I find any way I look at a Protools LE system it will always fall short, if it didn't no one would buy HD.

I didn't mean to give you the impression that it wouldn't work at all. There are just better solutions available for a bit more money.

I haven't worked with too many control surface / interface combo's.

The options are:

1) Digi 002R for both Logic and PRotools

2) Digi 002R for PT and Saffire / motu / or metric halo for Logic

3) M-audio firewire interface M-powered Protools and the same interface for Logic

Option 2 is by far the best option but costs a bit more. Mbox is usb and in my experience doesn't use cpu resources / screen redraw as efficeintly as the firewire boxes.

My 2 cents.

-ging

Ging is on the right track but stopped a little short IMHO. Now this will cost a little more but will be still way less than a PT HD system.

1. Get a decent interface for Logic. Saffire would be fine but RME Fireface or Metric Halo or even IMHO Echo Audiofire 8 would sound better.

2. Get PT M-powered with an inexpensive M-Audio interface and buy a standalone D/A converter to go digitally out to like the LavryBlack DA10 so that you can trust your mixes (assuming you have good speakers and a room not fraught with problems.) Bring all your audio in formLogic and mix in PT.

3. If you record singers/muscians in your studio a lot you should also get a better A/D converter for either Logic or PT to record into.

That said, while I would still do all my composing in Logic if i could afford it I would have a PT HD rig for mixing

first off, thanks to all who have posted here. this dialog is very helpful in coming to terms with the LP v. PT issue.

regarding my planned set-up:

the multiple ins are not a concern, as i will be using the home PT set up to mainly mix, edit, and cut rough vocals.

i'm going to use logic pro 7 as my music sequencer.. all samples and VSTi's, reason 3 etc. so the inputs are a null issue here as well. (and i think the quality of the D/A converters is also a moot point as the only mic in recording will be for vocal roughs).

that being said... i want a stable system that can handle 16+ tracks in both the Protools and Logic enviornment..

i've heard that the mbox2 will work in the logic enviornment. if this is true, i will go with this as the m-audio is less dope. :)... however if there is another interface that will hook up both systems properly.. moreso that the mbox2, THAT is the IDEAL piece..

Has anyone had a poor experience working with Logic on the mbox2??

Thanks for your help!!

JC

PS: i remember this Logic v. Protools discussion being big years ago.. and its funny that MAJOR issues between the two software/hardware co's STILL exist.

(and i think the quality of the D/A converters is also a moot point as the only mic in recording will be for vocal roughs).

JC

PS: i remember this Logic v. Protools discussion being big years ago.. and its funny that MAJOR issues between the two software/hardware co's STILL exist.

You are confused. D/A concerns what your mix sounds like going to your speakers. A/D is the concern for mic/mic pr recording into the computer.

> that being said... i want a stable system that can handle

> 16+ tracks in both the Protools and Logic enviornment..

Well, the reality is that it's just not possible with one interface. I have an 002R I use with Protools and an RME I use with Logic and everything else. So I enjoy rock solid stability. Every once in a while I'll try loading up the 002R in Logic and it reminds me why I have the RME.

> PS: i remember this Logic v. Protools discussion

> being big years ago.. and its funny that MAJOR

> issues between the two software/hardware

> co's STILL exist.

There is no issue really. Digi wants you to buy their hardware, not someone elses. They also want you to only use their software, not someone elses. So, keeping the coreaudio performance and reliability low for other apps is in their best interest, not yours.