cabling serially - a tip and a question

sweetT00th

seems like i'm always in a situation where i need to change one aspect of a plugin on a number of tracks at the same time.

here's an example. lets say there are ten vocal tracks each with a compressor on the first insert. i want to adjust the attack time on each at the same time in the same way.

what i've learned to do is select all the channel strips in the environment and choose "cable serially" in the options menu. then i can adjust the attack on the first strip and it will effect each proceeding track in the same way.

it works great....only problem is i haven't figured out how to uncable them other than hitting undo.....am i blind or is there no "uncable" option?

Hey, I do this too! Just hit command-z after making the plug parameter change. Only the "Cable Serially" gets undone, not the parameter change. Maybe you have to still have the Env window open, never checked that.

Note that the 2 or more like plugs must also be in the same insert slot number.

seems like i'm always in a situation where i need to change one aspect of a plugin on a number of tracks at the same time.

here's an example. lets say there are ten vocal tracks each with a compressor on the first insert. i want to adjust the attack time on each at the same time in the same way.

what i've learned to do is select all the channel strips in the environment and choose "cable serially" in the options menu. then i can adjust the attack on the first strip and it will effect each proceeding track in the same way.

it works great....

The except is... all the inserts need to be in the same slot and on the same channel strip type (Audio or Instrument). In this case, would it be more efficient to send the ten vocals to an AUX with a Comp insert?

Most likely 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of the other.

it works great....

The except is... all the inserts need to be in the same slot and on the same channel strip type (Audio or Instrument). In this case, would it be more efficient to send the ten vocals to an AUX with a Comp insert?

Most likely 6 of one and a 1/2 dozen of the other.

usually the tracks in question are already bussed. i do the serial cabling when i am adjusting the pitch correction scale (for example) on many unison vocal takes together, each with its own pitch correction plugin. i find aux grouping and pitch correcting the group doesn't generally work as well.... also i tend use the same channel strip preset on each vocal so i know the inserts will all be on the same slot.