Melodyne plugin

Hi all,

I've just been reading up on the excellent Melodyne plugin, sounds really interesting.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_plugin

I just had a couple of questions and would like to hear if anyone has used it for seperating Vocals from drums on an audio sample?

The main question is, does the plugin run well within Logic, or should I be buying the standalone software?

Hope I'm posting in the right section, I can't find the search function on the site. Am I being stupid?!

Thanks for any help

AFAIK Melodyne is for correcting timing and pitch from audio, not for separating a vocal from an audio track, i dont have it ,but ive heard it runs well in Logic and is a great plugin.

there is a post called "separate beat and vocals" by mrk_webber in tips and tricks which may be of use to you, i cant open it at the moment, but do a search and you will find it.

edit: here it is....

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=884&highlight=

Thanks for your quick reply absorbalov. I just watched the demo for the latest Melodyne and it shows them seperating all the audiio notes from a guitar track, even ones that are occuring at the same time, so I was guessing that it would be possible for Vocals also.

Here is the video:

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

I've read the post there, thanks very much for that link. It may be a little out of my depth, but I will try it out tonight and see if I can get it to work!

Thanks again for your help. I was still struggling to find the search, then I realised that the top nav is not showing up in Google Chrome! Works OK in Firefox.

Thanks again

your the second person to day thats told me about problems in google chrome! i think ill steer clear, the video shows guitar notes being selected and transposed, and yes you could do this with vocals, but i still dont think youll be able to separate vocals and drums with it, unless ive miss understood your first post, you have a single track of audio containing drums and vox and you want to separate it into two tracks, one containing drums, one containing vox, the video doesnt show that, or maybe ive missed something. Someone please enlighten me?

Yeah, DNA seems to me to be able to separate items of similar sonic characteristics (i.e. probably not able to separate out vocals from a whole track), but I could be wrong.

I'm wondering if they're running up against some serious walls with DNA, as this upgrade has been talked about for over a year, and it was supposed to be ready to go at the end of last summer.

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I wasn't sure if it had been released with the DNA stuff yet as it doesn't make it clear from the Ad. Thanks for that BCProject,

You are spot on Absorbalov; I have a track which has all the back stuff - drums, guitar, keyboard, vocals etc. I just wanted to remove everything and sample the vocals. Perhaps it is only possible to seperate the notes for a single instrument with Melodyne, as opposed to taking out everything. I'll keep my eye out for the release.

Still, the timestretching feature would be handy that comes with the current plugin - that's one thing I miss from Ableton that I wish Logic made it easy to do!

Cheers again

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I wasn't sure if it had been released with the DNA stuff yet as it doesn't make it clear from the Ad. Thanks for that BCProject,

You are spot on Absorbalov; I have a track which has all the back stuff - drums, guitar, keyboard, vocals etc. I just wanted to remove everything and sample the vocals. Perhaps it is only possible to seperate the notes for a single instrument with Melodyne, as opposed to taking out everything. I'll keep my eye out for the release.

Still, the timestretching feature would be handy that comes with the current plugin - that's one thing I miss from Ableton that I wish Logic made it easy to do!

Cheers again

You may well see the warping features in the next Logic incarnation, so i would hold off Melodyne until thats clarified, you might save yourself a few pennies!

take it easy 8)