No output when selecting new audio interface

Wonderland

I've just purchased the book 'Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8: Creating and Producing Professional Music' by David, and from the Apple Pro Training Series. I'm new to Logic so wanted to use a companion text that I could follow easily. Anyway, I'm only on the second lesson (Recording Audio) but have come across a problem.

I've followed the instructions to change my audio interface for recording a signal. I've gone to Preferences, changed the Device to my interface instead of the built-in one (I'm using a Tascam US-122L), which the computer recognises. After creating an audio track and selecting the input (Input 2 for my audio interface), there is no output at all when I try to play the track. I de-selected the audio interface in Preferences>Devices, and chose the built-in interface to see if it changed things, and I can get an output then. However, I changed it back and the problem persisted - no output. Any ideas?

I'm using a PowerPC G5 1.9GHz, 2.5Gb RAM (2 of that is DDR2 SDRAM), running Leopard. Like I said, my audio interface is a Tascam US-122L. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

If you choose the Tascam as your audio interface, then you can monitor through the Tascam. If you choose built-in, then you can monitor through the Mac's built-in outputs.

If you want to use both interfaces at once, you need to create an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup.

How do you monitor? Headphones, speaker monitors? Where are they connected?

Thanks for getting back to me so soon David, I really appreciate it.

I'm only monitoring through my headphones at the moment whilst I wait for my Fostex to arrive. Would you recommend creating an aggregate device then? My basic needs are just to use the Tascam interface for my inputs whilst monitoring through the computer's outputs, via headphones, until my speakers arrive.

Excuse my ignorance by the way. It's probably a true novice post but I'm only just starting to understand the software.