Do you find that its pretty much impossible to understand? I have been going through all the basic tutorials and have Todd Winkler's 'composing interactive music' book but still it is pretty hard to understand, MIDI is the hardest bit about it second understanding audio, a good book ive found helpful that has practically everything about music in it is Curtis Roads 'Computer music tutorial' I wish there were more workshops being held in Britain (I'm from Wales) as there is nothing better than hand's on approaches with someone guiding you through it.

It's probably not realistic to try and learn Max/MSP without a firm understanding of how MIDI and digital audio works. Yes, you may want to find some classes, but it's not totally unreasonable to teach yourself. Try to bite them off one at a time. You can certainly teach yourself MIDI and just work with Max, (not MSP) for a while. Surely there must be an electronic music class held somewhere near you.

Are you using Max 4 or Max 5? I spent a few months with a trial version of 4.5 before upgrading and buying the full package when Max 5 came out.

(And having trundled through tutorials for both, I find the Max 5 ones to be much more helpful.)

Peter Elsea has written GREAT tutorials (which are built in 4, if you do have a penchant for square corners.)

I found them really helpful just to recreate the patches from his book. While you go, opt click on EVERY OBJECT to get a feel for what it does, what messages it sends, and how the pieces interact.

-=-

Sigh. It seems the ftp site where they live is down. They should be here-abouts.

ftp://arts.ucsc.edu/pub/ems/MaxTutors/

Try again later. Or try googling Peter Elsea max tutorials.

-=-

Good luck!

cheers for the help mate im trying to learn max 5 was learning PD before and I find that Max 5 is so well documented compared to PD, probably will take me years to learn it but its well worth it in the end, I wish Logic could integrate it like Ableton 8 is going to

I actually found that the MaxMSP tutorials drastically improved my understanding and ability with Logic's Environment. (Once I get used to some of Logic's quirks, like the automated paths cables takes. Not such a bad thing. Just different.)

Hang in there. Grind on. You're learning a new language, and that takes time. Results are not always immediately evident, (and this can be discouraging.)

Excelsior.

• 2 weeks later...

read the max 5 tutorials. you can read them here -

http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/intro/docintro.html

take a look at this too -

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/maxmsp-diary-the-big-idea-171643

The best resource for learning is the forum I think. Read the tutorials, practice, then search the forum archives and you'll generally find answers to your questions. If not post a topic and someone will help you pretty quickly. It is very addictive but well worth it.

Hope that helps

I'm looking into the "MAXforLIVE" add-on to ableton live. Lets you program with all of the max objects inside live. this running rewire could be a very powerful mpc replacer.

Considering the Max/MSP Live extension is practically the whole Max package, even some Jitter components I think, it will probably not be an inexpensive add-on. I'll be interested to see what they would charge me as I already have Max/MSP/Jitter.

I know f you already owned the AAS Modeling Collection, there was no break at all on the AAS synths they integrated as Live extensions.

"Claim" indeed!

I don't yet own Ableton 8. So buying that, plus M4L... even with a discount, will not be... as sweet a deal as Logic Studio Academic was.

(I don't believe M4L works with Ableton 7.)

Did we all hear that they've discontinued Pluggo? I'm wondering if they'll pack all (or even some) of the legacy pluggos into M4L. The difference now being, all M4L example patches are able to be edited. I would love to climb inside and see how they were made.

the best way to learn max is to focus on SOME of the objects, try to make some simple stuff by yourself then add more. although the tutorials are good and gives you the gradual spectrum of max possibilities the catch 22 is not to overwhelm yourself by them rather to narrow it. less is more with max is soooo true....

goodluck and dont give up!

Did we all hear that they've discontinued Pluggo? I'm wondering if they'll pack all (or even some) of the legacy pluggos into M4L..

they actually are going to do that, but it wont make any difference if the pluggos wont be able to control other Live objects (like Simpler for instance).

For me the lack of semimodular ability to control one device with another ( aka lfo1 in Operator controlling the samplestart in Sampler) is the biggest nogo for Live.i was able to do those kind of control in c74 radiaL (which they ditched as well) and get some really nice results.

they ditched 4 out of 5 of their products i am using daily :(

.... the tutorials are good and gives you the gradual spectrum of max possibilities the catch 22 is not to overwhelm yourself by them ....

Just started to look at Max/MSP (30 days eval) and indeed it's overwelming :? But I'm pleasantly suprised by the strict logical approach (opposed to e.g. reaktor) and it looks everything you can think of can be made in Max. The tutorials (which you can unlock and edit) are awsome!