Need a workaround for logic files that hang while loading

fpatrick08

Hi,

There is some bug in Logic that's causing this behavior. I recently installed just the Logic 7 legacy instruments but that didn't help.

The problem is this: Sometimes when certain esx instruments are in a logic file, it will hang when loading the file. And it hangs badly - it won't time out and won't yield, so you have to hold down the reset button for a while and shut down. The offending instruments seem to be alto sax and tenor sax, which are legacy instruments. It seems like it just hangs because it can't find the sample files, but on some files this isn't a problem.

So, I have at least two logic songs that I can't read. Fortunately I have a version of one that's nearly complete without those instruments.

I'd just like to read my files. Is there something in my directory structure that I can check concerning the esx instruments and samples? I looked at my folders and it doesn't make complete sense to me.

Is there a way I can repair a logic file? Do you think Apple might fix it for me. I'd really complain because they really shouldn't have released something which causes file corruption and data loss - that's considered unacceptable for software - at least it used to be on any software I developed. I've lost work and it's their bug that's corrupted their own file. I'm really angry and disappointed in them. And it's really sloppy work to not time out or yield or provide any way to cancel a file read. It may not show up much but this is a glaring error. I hope it doesn't continue and get worse because I didn't lose too much, but if my files keep getting corrupted I will. This is really unacceptable for software. Sorry to vent, but I'm certainly correct in my assessment.

Is there any utility to repair a logic file? And doc on the internal file format available so I can salvage this? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can check my system so I don't have to worry that this is going to be a chronic problem?

Please help if you can, anyone.

Thank you

-Frank

If you turn off your audio driver can you boot up the file in midi only? if so do a save as and then bypass or delete what you think are the offending instruments. Then, reactivate your audio driver and see if that fixes it. I don't know of any long term fix other than to avoid samples you know are corrupt.

Thank you so much - that worked. It allowed me to load the files, then changing the tracks to "No input" and reseting the instruments to tenor or alto corrected the problem. Very clever. I think the system is right now (or I'll hope so). They seemed to introduce some kind of dependency in the 7-8 upgrade around the "legacy instruments" that created this problem, which was exacerbated by reinstalling the legacy instruments at a different time. It temporarily wasn't able to find them but now it did.

That was a HUGE help. Thanks again.

Regards,

-Frank