logic 8 transform note on to all notes off

tomwacker

Hello everybody

Yes I asked a similiar question ( in fact note off to note on ) not so long ago,

but now I need a solution for this :

when I play a one-shot sample on my keyboard - say on C2, is there a way I can stop it by pressing a certain other key - say C3-. I know I can stop the sample by pressing he space button on my laptop, so this is only for my convenience. Limiting the voices to only one won´t work for my purpose.

If any one got any smart "transformer-idea", you´d make me happy one more time.

Thanks

Thomas

It would help if we knew a little more about what you're trying to achieve and/or why you're trying to achieve it? For example, what's wrong with stopping the sample by simply releasing the C2 key that triggered it?

I´m triggering a sample with C2 which as it is a one shot sample will play for quiet a while no matter if I release the key. As this is a life situation my laptop will in most cases be positioned just out of reach, so it would be great if I could stop this sample from playing ( on a cue given by actors on stage ) by just pressing any other key on my keyboard.

Sorry, just figured out you maybe want to know why I´m using a one-shot. It´s because I have to play several sound effects at that moment and it´s a little hard for me to keep one finger on a key while pressing and releasing different notes with the others. My left hand is handling the faders of the desk at that time.

Edited by tomwacker

Which sampler are you using? And would you be ok with a simpler solution involving turning the one-shot sample into a gated-sample that stops when you release the key? Or is it better for you to be able to stop it by pressing another key?

Just updated my reply above.

I´m using logic´s EX and for the second half of your question see above.

But if this is going to be really complicated I can live with pressing the space bar.

It´s merely a convenience issue for me.

Limiting the voices to only one won´t work for my purpose.

(...)Then set your voice limit to 1.

That is the reason I'm trying to get more info. :wink:

BTW as a quick answer you could simply use a couple of transformers to turn... say a C3 note on into a C2 note off. Is that what you really want?

So here´s some more info: I´m playing sound effects with logic´s EX in a life theatre performance. My set-up is a small 2-octave keyboard, a small audio interface with 6 seperate outputs to adress 6 different speakers on stage and my laptop. As we are touring a lot, I often face a situation, where I simply don´t have enough space to place my stuff close to ( or on ) the mixing console. Some theatres won´t let me put anything on their mixing console. So the laptop gets a little out of reach and difficult to handle.

This certain moment with the one-shot sample playing, there´s lots of other samples to play just short before that - that´s why limiting voices won´t work.

If there is a way to turn a C3 note on into C2 note off - yes, that´s exactly what I would like to do.

Hope that`s the info you need.

I´ll be offline for the next two days - just to let you know.

thanks so far, and David - I´m really curious about your transformer set-up.

Wait a second...

Didn't we already address this scenario in this post?

:?: :?: :?:

Back home again....

well - you found a ( great ) solution to transform note-off to note-on.

This time it´s the other way round. As note-off doesn´t appear in the transformer menu, I can´t figure out how to transform anything ( in this case note-on ) to note-off. I was thinking a lot about this and maybe I´m just being stupid, but it seems to me that it´s not just your clever transformer-chain in reverse.

Not in front of my Logic machine at the moment, but...

A crude but possibly effective solution might be to assign a MIDI note to the "All Notes Off" command. This is done in the Key Commands window.

Just checked out David´s transformer solution, and it won´t work. Looks like a note-off won´t stop a one-shot sample from playing. Mmm

PaulSC´s way of handling this works to some point. I can have logic learn C3 as a keycommand for play/stop ( instead of the space bar ) and that way it stops the sample. ( of course ). Only thing is, I´ve to assign C3-note-off as keycommand (hold down the key, press "learn", then release) because otherwise logic will not only learn the key, but also the velocity that´s transmitted, making it nearly impossible to repeat the command. And of course I´ve to press C3 twice to stop the sequencer from running till eternity...

I´m wondering what kind of message is transmitted when you play/stop the sequencer as it definetly shuts up my one-shot sample. That would be the one my C3 should be transformed to.

It´s not the "panic" all notes off or is it ??

logic will not only learn the key, but also the velocity that´s transmitted, making it nearly impossible to repeat the command.

I'm not at my Logic machine either, but I do remember the situation with the velocity that's learned getting in the way. I know that I eventually did find a way to edit the key command to eliminate that part of the formula. You can remove the second part of the "formula" for the keycommand to delete the velocity info.

Wish I could give you the example...

Poke around and look at the command that is created after you tell Logic to learn. Try eliminating the second half of the data... make sense?

. You can remove the second part of the "formula" for the keycommand to delete the velocity info.

Finally got it made. I did remove the second part of the data (last two characters), as you said, making logic start/stop at any velocity. In a second run, I assigned same key/note-off to the same start/stop command. Now the sequencer starts and stops again in an instant as I hit the key, doing only what I wanted in the first place :cutting off this one-shot sample.

Thanks to everybody involved. Although it was just a minor issue, there´s nothing like the feeling you get when it´s finally solved.