Best Interface To Use With Logic 7.2

Hello,

Last May, I finally decided to make the plunge and purchase a Mac - iMac Intel Core Duo 20" with 2 GB of RAM (using OS X 10.4.6) - and it's been a great computer, (God sent, really) but after fiddling with Garageband for about a month, I decided recently to try a more beefy, powerful program that can suit my needs and so a few days ago I purchased Logic Pro 7.2. I currently have the M-Audio Keystation 88ES MIDI Controller and my goal is to be able to write, record and produce music all by myself, but strictly through the keyboard (i.e. virtual instruments, etc.), as well as sing and MAYBE add a guitar to it. #1. Hopefully my computer is suffient enough to do that, but #2. Currently I am lacking a proper interface for this and I am wondering if anyone could recommend their picks for an interface. I am on a budget however and anything under $200-$250 would be fantastic. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Your are not going to find much of anything in that price range that has good quality. Now if you can get 300, I would recommend the Focusrite Saffire LE. The unit got a great review in Sound on Sound magizine. I bought the Saffire with the DSP and it is fantastic. The LE does not have the onboard DSP but you are buying it for the preamps. It does have 4 in and 6 out so you could do a surround mix if you wanted to. You really should get this, the pre amps are a vital link in the audio chain and you do not want to get something inferior here. This is one place you cannot skimp on. Do your self a favor and wait till you have the money. Your choice of Logic Pro was a good one. It has such a clean signal and you need to keep it that way. If you want to hear some stuff recorded in Logic Pro with an Original Mbox (which has 2 Focusrite preamps) go check out some songs I posted at :arrow: http://www.Soundclick.com/whitewing

you will never regret buying it and hopefully you will never have to wish you had.

P,S. I would offer to sell you the Mbox, it is for sale but Digidesign drivers are flakey on the Mac side. That is why I went out and bought the Saffire.

I'm also looking for a new A/D. I'm considering the Motu 828 MKII, but I love the fact that the Saffire has the DSP built in.... I don't think the MKII does. Also, it looks like the MKII has unbalanced outs whereas the Saffire's are balanced. I've been using the original Mbox for years and it sounds great. However, I really would like something that I can rackmount and something that has more ins and outs. I'm also in the market for rackmountable firewire or USB controller/mixer just to keep from having to use the mouse all day. Any suggestions?

I'm also looking for a new A/D. I'm considering the Motu 828 MKII, but I love the fact that the Saffire has the DSP built in.... I don't think the MKII does. Also, it looks like the MKII has unbalanced outs whereas the Saffire's are balanced. I've been using the original Mbox for years and it sounds great. However, I really would like something that I can rackmount and something that has more ins and outs. I'm also in the market for rackmountable firewire or USB controller/mixer just to keep from having to use the mouse all day. Any suggestions?

Parker I don't mean to offend you but the original Mbox does not sound very good at all and almost any of the newer units will sound better.

I would also suggest that you choose a Firewire interface as you seem to be considering rather than USB again as IMHO USB is simply too undependable for audio.

Consider the Echo Audiofire 8.

www.echoaudio.com

• 2 weeks later...