Changing a song to 432 HZ ?

jlott00

Are you asking about sample rate conversion between 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz?

Yes, Logic can do that. Set the sample rate you want for your project and then import the audio and it will convert it automatically when it adds it to the bin.

Settings > Audio > Sample Rate

Setting the Sample Rate

You should set the sample rate when you start a project, and should avoid making changes to this after-the-fact.

Note: Any audio that does not match the project sample rate is automatically

converted when it is imported, if the “Convert audio file sample rate” option in the Assets project settings is switched on.

Edited by MtL

imported songs,

i changed the cents to -32 i think it worked, and put semi tones to 0 and 100% mix, i have no way of testing but im guessing this worked?

the reason im doing this is, i have been reading about how they changed from 432 to 440 back in the 30's..and all the classical people hated it, supposedly the bach and mozart sounds a lot better in 432, so i thought what they hay, id try it out....how did you get the number "-32 cents" ? thanks again everyone

forgot , what i ment by whole song was when i opened past recorded songs, i could change the midi...like orchestra strings but not voice...but i now know how to use the pitch shifter, so i think i can figure it all out

the reason im doing this is, i have been reading about how they changed from 432 to 440 back in the 30's..and all the classical people hated it, supposedly the bach and mozart sounds a lot better in 432, so i thought what they hay, id try it out....how did you get the number "-32 cents" ? thanks again everyone

Originally there wasn't any standard (before the invention of tuning forks). Then as "standards" started showing up people kept increasing them. There was basically a pitch war, much as we now have a loudness war. Here's some more information on that, which is really quite interesting IMO: http://tiny.cc/tQVpJ

• 3 years later...
the reason im doing this is, i have been reading about how they changed from 432 to 440 back in the 30's..and all the classical people hated it, supposedly the bach and mozart sounds a lot better in 432, so i thought what they hay, id try it out....

So you wanna transpose some music in Logic from A 440 to A 432 in an attempt to possibly get closer to what the experience of listening to classical music in the 1930's might've been like. Cool...

But you'll still be listening to an essentially 21st century recording technology. And the music you're referencing was born in the 1600's-1800's, some of it even pre-dating the piano itself! No listening experience using 1930's technology could even approach it. Those "classical people" of the 30's were probably farther from the source material than we are today. One could argue that the "classical people" of the 30's lived during nearly the worst time for recorded music! Phonograph needles... 78RPM's (and you can bet they couldn't get close to 8Hz accuracy)... Wind-up drives... Record discs made of shellac...

And you're using MIDI while trying to get closer to what Bach/Beethoven might've sounded like in the 30's? Just saying that, you run the risk of opening a time vortex! :wink: Using MIDI means you're also probably using synthesized or sampled music sources. And you're trying to get how authentic?

Whatever you do is fine, of course, just don't think that dropping the pitch of a collection of sampled orchestra loops by eight cycles per second is gonna do anything to get you "there". Cheers!

[...] they changed from 432 to 440 back in the 30's [...] so i thought what they hay, id try it out....

So you wanna transpose some music [...] to get how authentic?

Whatever you do is fine, of course, just don't think that dropping the pitch of a collection of sampled orchestra loops by eight cycles per second is gonna do anything to get you "there". Cheers!

+1

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are underestimating the dimension of the matter... Feed a search engine with "432Hz" and find out about the esoteric meaning of this number.

Oh well. Personally I find things sound, well, deeper when slightly tuned down. I prefer 434Hz as this number can be divided by seven without remainder. But hey - it's a game, ok?

To the original poster: yeah, you can change the tuning in Logic, but I'd highly recommend changing it for your next project's (MIDI & real) instruments from the get-go, not try and tune already recorded audio down from 440Hz to 432Hz as you'll be degrading the audio quality and I'll go out on a limb and say that that'll have way bigger (worse) effect than the actual tuning to your listening experience. Or you can just slow your audio down to get the wanted lower tuning, but then the tempo / playback speed is lower and that's probably not what you want, either.