CST Male Vocals

Here's a basic starting point for Male Vocals using Logic's factory plug-ins:

Cha EQ -> DeEsser -> Compressor

Obviously some of those settings could sound terrible if not tweaked based on the sound of the vocals on your track.

Check the threshold of the compressor (depending on your track's level).

Check its attack: don't make it too short or you lose the air created by the EQ.

Make sure the Deessing isn't too strong and is in the right frequency for your voice.

I usually like to send my vocals to a bus which has a plate reverb. Something like

01 Vocal Reverbs > Long Vocal Reverbs > 3.8s_Vocal Plate Clear or

26 Plate Reverbs > 3.3s_Thick Plate

MaleVocals.cst.zip

Copy this file to ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Track/

Edited by David Nahmani

yeh thats a good starting point, but i find the de-esser in logic way too harsh for my voice.. i think the 'spit fish' plugin by digital fish fones is much more useable on a wide range of vocal timbres...

I suggest people have a play with the digitalfishfones freeware, they make some great sounding plugins!

The compressor (blockfish) is great too...

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Here's a basic starting point for Male Vocals using Logic's factory plug-ins:....

I usually like to send my vocals to a bus which has a plate reverb. Something like

David,

I am struggling with getting my vocal setup right. So I am reading any tips and advice on compressor settings, bus techniques etc etc that I can find.

You mentioned sending vocals to a bus reverb;

Could you explain this in a little more detail please?

I understand the bus bit, but I can't find the reverbs you are referring to. I would like to set up a sample and mess around with it to hear the differences.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

David - quick question regarding this routing.

If I want to use the same compressor (and settings obviously) for a group of say, guitars, should I send the guitars out via a bus, and then just put compressor plug on that bus.

Then, say I want to add some reverb - would I add reverb as an insert on that bus, or use a send on that bus?

I know that a lot of this is subjective to the sound you are going for, but, if I simply use a send to a compressor bus, then I'm going to be getting a parallel compressed sound (i.e. a clean and compressed sound will be hitting the master fader).

Any advice on that?

Thanks!

Tom

If you want to compress an entire group of guitars, you set the guitar channel strips' outputs to a bus, and on the corresponding Aux, you insert your compressor.

If you want a reverb that is unique to those guitars, you insert them on the same Aux below the compressor.

If you want a reverb that will also be used by other instruments or other groups of instruments, then use a send from the Aux to another bus, that way you'll be able to send to that other bus from other channel strips as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi David --

I'm interested in learning more about reverb treatment for vocals, and was wondering if you could explain the theory behind layering two or three different reverbs on top of each other as you suggested. When would something like this be appropriate, and when not? Would the quality of the mic have anything to do with your decision to do this, and, if so, what would change and why?

Thanks loads!

-Bruce

I'm interested in learning more about reverb treatment for vocals, and was wondering if you could explain the theory behind layering two or three different reverbs on top of each other as you suggested.

Hi Bruce - I don't remember suggesting that? Could you point me to the place where I suggested that so I can see the context maybe?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...