Any drummers using Mainstage?

drmmstr06

Hi,

Yes, I use it, but maybe a little unconventionally. I accompany dance classes and performances. I use a DrumKat 3.8 MIDI controller, a 2.4 GHz macBook w/4GB Ram. I have a fairly large hard drive, but recently switched to an external bus powered FW drive to store the sounds. Not sure if I really needed that, because I'm not actively recording or anything. I also added a Korg NanoKontrol so that I can switch patches or adjust sounds without have to use a mouse - very hard to do while playing. I'm still working on this part of the interface. In any case, this setup has been pretty darn reliable and easy to use.

In addition to mainstage and the Jam Pack sounds, I also have Battery 3, which is a great add-on. I tend to use a lot of world music sounds mixed with electronica sounds, which work well for what I do. I have used this rig in rehearsals with a couple of bands but never live in a club.

i switched to a laptop a couple of years ago after many years of using percussion modules - R8M, Alesis D4 and DMPro, Emu Planet Earth, etc. I have felt comfortable with whatever "delay" there is in using a laptop because I can usually keep my latency settings pretty low because I don't run too many extra things -effects, etc- at once. Everything has some kind of trade-off, I guess.

John

nice setup. Mines similar, I'm using the roland SPD-20 with a KD-85 kick trigger and a few other pads plugged into it as a midi controller. Basically like a compact electronic kit. I also use a an oxygen 8 midi controller to control effects and to play synths. I've done two live gigs with it and both without a flaw. Also running a macbook pro 2.4ghz and 4 gigs of ram.