Mainstage portable setup; USB controller?

rcbrock

Hello all,

This is my first post, I hope I'm not breaking etiquette filling it with questions!

I've been scouring the forums for a while to find info on the setup I'm thinking of.

I want a portable setup using MainStage to transform any piano or keyboard with MIDI into a Rhodes or Wurlitzer (or anything that might take my fancy). Lantecy is NOT an option for me!

My questions are:

1. Will different types of Interfaces (USB/Firewire/eSATA) improve or worsen the latency for MIDI

2. Do I need an audio interface to minimize latency (audio out) for the MainStage setup (I'll probably get one eventually for recording but hopefully it's not a prerequisite)?

3. Do you think a UMB (2.4 GHz) would cut it for specs? I like the design and the better specs (specifically the DDR3 RAM) seem more attractive than the Whitebook. Will I be better off getting a MB Pro?

4. Obivously it would be cool if the laptop would run Logic as well :). I'd probably run 8 tracks in MIDI with Softsynth and maybe 8 or so Audiotracks. What specs would be good for that?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Robin

Edited by rcbrock

hello, welcome to LPH!

In regards to posting etiqutte check out the posting guidelines: http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=29410

Your different questions are fine within one thread because they are more factors determining the answer you will get, its just when its unrelated you make another thread (as seen in the guidelines)

firewire tends to have 'better' latency than USB. But a usb keyboard is usually unnoticeable with latency unless you are running silly amounts instances of space designer or something (which i don't think you will be doing judging by what you want this for)

An interface isn't neccesary, you could just use a USB keyboard and then take the internal audio out from the macbook to the mixer.

If you are thinking of recording though, and want multiple audio ins then an interface is going to be pretty darn neccesary. The presonus firepod has 8 ins, firewire, and also midi in and out.

If you want to use firewire you are going to have to get the macbook pro if you are going for the unibody, the normal macbook doesn't have firewire. If your interface is firewire 400 you will also need a 400 to 800 adapter cable, which aren't difficult to find or expensive.

I have the lowest spec macbook pro and run sessions that are much much larger than what you said you will do in number 4). And it handles it with no problems whatsoever.

Well... hope some of that helps.

Thanks a lot, that's actually a lot of help! It answers all my questions, but brings me back to the annoying choice Macusers need to make these days.

It really is a pity the UMB doesn't have firewire. Virtually all musicians prefer it to USB and the interfaces seem to be better value for money once you have more than 2 or three inputs.

I think I read on soundonsound.com the difference between firewire and USB only becomes apparent when you start recording 16 to 24 tracks simultaneously. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I'm really hoping I can choose portability over firewire :). Lugging around a 15" screen all the time in case I might once want to record a whole band seems like a good case of overkill to me.

I'm really hoping I can choose portability over firewire :). Lugging around a 15" screen all the time in case I might once want to record a whole band seems like a good case of overkill to me.

You'd be surprised... even for short and tiny sessions I was getting annoyed at a 15 inch screen. I don't mind it for performance and on the go. But when i'm sat doing music at home i have it hooked up to a 22" monitor.

I had been using a 20 inch imac before i got the MBP which may be why i was used to bigger screens, but I think 13 inches is just too small. But that is just preference. Best way would be to go into an apple store and work on a 15 inch for 20 minutes on logic (they all have it installed if you look in the apps folder), then move on to a 13 inch and see if you feel comfortable.

But if portability is really the deciding factor I think you could find a decent usb interface. I hope some other guys chip in on this because you need a few more peoples opinions, and I am not particular up to speed with interfaces.

Thanks a lot for the info; especially live experiences are helpful. I am worried about the size of the screen for using Logic at home, too!

Just to see if there is such a thing; can anyone recommend a good USB interface?

Cheers