How to make a 60s track sound contemporary

I am looking for some articles and ideas on how to make an 'oldies' track sound contemporary.

Take the track

oz7KIVbEwtM by Frankie Valli and 4 Seasons.

And now, a sort of remix by Pilooski.

The two tracks are surprisingly similar. I think that Pilooski did an amazing job at keeping the retro feel but make a modern and not obvious-in-your-face breakbeat mix (I'm not talking about the fact that the new edit is vinyl-crackle free).

I would be interested in learning producers tricks and explore all sorts of ideas to apply this concept to different Motown and Mods 60s classics. Any suggestion?

Actually there is some more contemporary music out right now that has that 60's Motown flare. As far as "producer's" tips the best thing to do is just listen. The engineering side might be a different story. Right now there is a singer in the

UK, Duffy who has that old motown sound and it's pretty recent stuff. Also some Amy Winehouse has a little of that flavor in it. Not that I'm that much of a fan of either, but as far as listening for a certain sound thats where I would start.

Here is a Duffy video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2orthS3TQ