Noticable tempo change to metronome

I am having a real hard time trying to decide if the metronome should be set at 137 or 140 or 142. Do these gaps really make a noticeable difference? I know that it does if you are playing at the same tempo. But if I just set a metronome and then record to it, do you think someone could distinguish 3 or even 5 bpm. Where do you think it starts to matter?

Also, I am using "the tapper" and just playing my song, recording it, then tapping out the beat on the keyboard. The program averages the last 8 beats so it is changing as you play slightly, this is what worries me. Any better ways to do this or other suggestions?

Yes, 1 BPM will make a difference (especially if you're writing dance music). But unless you have a genre-specific reason for writing music at a particular tempo, the only person it will matter to is you.

When people hear music for the first time, they only know what it sounds like right then and there. They will have no idea of what it might have sounded like at a faster or slower tempo.

Pick a tempo, and record. If YOU don't like it at that tempo, change it.