MainStage 2 has backing track playback!!

B_Stone

Looks like insanely great backing track player is here. Can't wait to check it out.

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/mainstage/

From the site:

Sound bigger than ever.

With Playback, a brand-new plug-in, your Mac becomes a flexible, reliable backing track player. It’s easy to use, too. Whether you’re rounding out your sound with a simple stereo backing track or a set of separate, mixable stems, all you have to do is step on a foot switch to jump to the next cue, adjust the tempo, arrange on the fly, or fade out smoothly.

How will that control work? Is it midi like a midi buddy pedal or is apple going to come up with a pedal of their own like Ik multimedia for start, stop, next loop, last loop, etc. I'm a guitar player as you can guess and I play live with a Jam man looper. I use it very sparingly. But would love to have a real good backing track player that I can control with a foot switch. That would be sweet.

Thanks

Oscar

If you look at their web site, Apogee announced a new product -- the GiO -- that will be available in September.

Although it should work with any MIDI compatible pedalboard, so the ones from Behringer and Roland should work fine. I just tried my Waves GTR Ground and it works great.

How will that control work? Is it midi like a midi buddy pedal or is apple going to come up with a pedal of their own like Ik multimedia for start, stop, next loop, last loop, etc. I'm a guitar player as you can guess and I play live with a Jam man looper. I use it very sparingly. But would love to have a real good backing track player that I can control with a foot switch.

Thats exactly what you can do in MainStage 2. It comes with a bunch of templates, that already contain a player. For certain devices it also supports the display (e.g. the Frontier Tranzport, where the display displays the patch and set name) or the LEDs (the Appogee GiO where the RGB LEDs reflect the color of the workspace mapping - quite a cool effect)

I'm confused. Is this just a sampler?

In my head - I haven't gotten around to completely figuring out how to perform my music yet - I was just going to use midi to trigger samples from the exs. Is this 'playback' somehow different and more user friendly for mainstage?

Its different from a sampler in that it has a transport that you can trigger. It will continue playing until it ends, or it can cycle on a Marker range of time. (like a section of a song). While playing back, you can skip to different markers at any time. Its very similar to a sampler, but purpose designed to play backing tracks in very clever ways.