Logic Pro 9 new features and more info

However, this is different in Logic 9.0.1 now... it will capture all cycles and place them under one another on adjacent tracks of the same object in arrange. Cool!! Look out though, as it doesn't seem to mute them! :-)

This is SUPERIOR!. It has happened to me so many times; played great riff in loop mode and then i was too slow to hit spacebar (stop), and lose riff of the lifetime :lol:.

try it with Take Folders for overlapping MIDI. works great... :wink:

Ok, this is an amazing new feature that I haven't seen mentioned on the Apple site. In Logic 8 if you held down option and clicked on an insert plugin, the plugin would be bypassed. It works the same way in Logic 9 except... the pointer arrow now turns into a broken circle on/off icon! It's revolutionary! I can't believe what it's going to do for my workflow! Look out Pro Tools! - Emile

Ok, this is an amazing new feature that I haven't seen mentioned on the Apple site. In Logic 8 if you held down option and clicked on an insert plugin, the plugin would be bypassed. It works the same way in Logic 9 except... the pointer arrow now turns into a broken circle on/off icon! It's revolutionary! I can't believe what it's going to do for my workflow! Look out Pro Tools! - Emile

Yep! Now you'll know your pressing Option without even having to look down at your hand! :D

However, this is different in Logic 9.0.1 now... it will capture all cycles and place them under one another on adjacent tracks of the same object in arrange. Cool!! Look out though, as it doesn't seem to mute them! :-)

This is SUPERIOR!. It has happened to me so many times; played great riff in loop mode and then i was too slow to hit spacebar (stop), and lose riff of the lifetime :lol:.

try it with Take Folders for overlapping MIDI. works great... :wink:

Mmm, to say I dislike 'Take folders', would be putting it mildly!

If an upgrade to logic 9 Studio were done, Is there a comprehensive tutorial at hand to work through such as your logic 8 book is now?

Yes, my Logic 9 book! (see the banner at the top of this forum).

Or for the sake of improving skill first, would you suggest hanging on, stay in 8, get your current book and work through that for now?

I would say if you're just starting, it doesn't make much difference - even if you start learning Logic 9 now, 98% of what you learn is probably going to be Logic 8 stuff.

So in the end, whether you start with Logic 8 now and move on to Logic 9 in a few months, or upgrade to Logic 9 right away, I don't think it will make much difference as far as the learning curve is concerned.

As long as you buy my Logic 8 or my Logic 9 book, you're in good hands! :lol:

Speaking of learning, I just pre-ordered your book David, I'm looking forward to learning more about Logic (along with others on the forum) than I have ever known.

This is going to be fun! :)

I can assure you I'm sharing everything I am allowed to share.

Oh, that's a bad sign.

Looks like they want to induce everyone into buying L9 to find out later on that it did not address past issues.

Otherwise, why would they want to keep it secret...

like always.. i'm waiting bugfixes and improvements (for the tdm side) since the first osx version, some other bugs are still there from OS9 versions!!!

we have to buy a software without even knowing a changelog.

i hate logic/apple policy in general...

i've given to emagic/apple many money as i use it form version 2.5, bougth many package like exs24, the ESB, the Sound Diver (discontinued!! thanks), the ES2 and so on... never given a discount for the upgrade when they became free for all users.

Bought all the upgrades just to find that problems are still there and sometimes the situation is even worst than before!!!

The funny thing is that i'm upgrading my mac right now so i've just bought logic 9.

So you HAVE TO use leopard, because they want you to upgrade your system, so even if i have a relatively new intel mac with tiger i'm forced to upgrade, unbelievable. Apple Policy Standards by the way.

when you do a software you try to make most people able to use it and not to force everyone to upgrade to the latest OS version, main problem is that apple is both the software and the OS producer, not to talk about the proprietary hardware.

Probably they're right.. i've just bought an overpriced 3000€ mac pro just to use logic 9, i've got better performance (xbench on a single processor) with my 700€ overclocked PC/hackintosh (tried only for evaluate logic9) and has silent cooling system, much better than standard apple ones (and if you work with audio and "not so loud" speakers you what i'm talking about), i have bios tweakings, i can choose ddr speed, i can even disable hyperthread as i heard new i7 has some problems with some softwares because of virtual cpu units (and obviously there's no way to disable hyperthreading in original mac pros! lol!!!)

Not to mention i had to upgrade my pt HD cards, another 2500€.

So basically i have spent about 6000 euro to upgrade everything just because apple has decided to let logic 9 only compatible with leopard and pro tools 8.

the most funny thing is that i can't even update to logic 9.0.1 cause it crashes TDM... yeahhh!!

now tell me how much i love logic to keeping using it, or i'm just lazy to learn another one?

cheers.

Sound Diver (discontinued!! thanks)

I found this article about soundiver on a search a while back. Its a bit of work, but if you have a working V 3.0 install disk it may be worth checking out.

http://cellsonik.com/sounddiver.html

I have not put the energy into getting this yet up and running yet, if anybody knows more about it please share it with us, soundiver is a very wonderful program that apple has snubbed its nose at.

Shame on apple!

We want soundiver back again!

Hey, sorry for my laziness, I'm sure I could find this somewhere, and I have looked somewhat here and at APPLE.

Does Logic 9 have memory usage improvements? Does it bash the old memory limit that Logic had (was it 4 Gig?).

So, is it more efficient in the use of VI's and memory intensive effects? Perhaps negating a bit the need for Bidule or Vienna Ensemble Pro in the background running VI's?

Thanks for any info!

Does Logic 9 have memory usage improvements? Does it bash the old memory limit that Logic had (was it 4 Gig?).

Different users have had different results. Many users have been unable to create sessions that were fine in L8 due to running out of memory, and other users have seen better memory use.

Probably depends on your specific setup and set of plugins.

Looking forward to my tutorial book David. I know your jamming on it now. Is it still looking good for November?

Will it also cover the deeper aspects of the program and not just the specific feature of 9 vs previous versions?

I can't wait. I updated my 9 to 9.0.2. Now I feel like I have all this power but, they forgot to send my magic wand to allow me to just wave the wand and all my troubles will be gone, a pile of money will appear and my recording will be perfect. ow could they forget such a thing!