Allowing MainStage to Run as Smooth as Possible

Tony in NY

I'm using a Mac Notebook Pro running Logic 8. Besides turning off Airport - are there any other Mac related programs (running in the background) that can be turned off to allow the computer's resources to just run Logic as smooth as possible? I'm sure when I boot up the laptop there are a handful of programs that automatically run ... any danger in not allowing them to run? I use the Mac to strictly run Logic - that is all. Besides having to go online for updates, etc, I don't use the Mac for anything else really, as I want the computer to do one job - run Logic/MainStage as flawlessly as possible.

I'm using a Mac Notebook Pro running Logic 8. Besides turning off Airport - are there any other Mac related programs (running in the background) that can be turned off to allow the computer's resources to just run Logic as smooth as possible?

No need to disable anything, but turning off AirPort can't harm. Try to avoid installing any unnecessary stuff.

I'm using a Mac Notebook Pro running Logic 8. Besides turning off Airport - are there any other Mac related programs (running in the background) that can be turned off to allow the computer's resources to just run Logic as smooth as possible? I'm sure when I boot up the laptop there are a handful of programs that automatically run ... any danger in not allowing them to run? I use the Mac to strictly run Logic - that is all. Besides having to go online for updates, etc, I don't use the Mac for anything else really, as I want the computer to do one job - run Logic/MainStage as flawlessly as possible.

Also, in general, if you can limit the number of applications running at the same time you can mitigate any chance that they might take CPU or memory resources. When you are rehearsing or playing live, you should definitely restart before, and only run MainStage. That should clear things up.

Also, I agree with mmm42— Airport will probably work fine, but in the past there have been issues, so its always a good idea to keep it off when you are performing.

I have found turning off Airport to make a difference.

Also, there's less latency when you disable the safety buffer.

They tell me Mainstage 2 (Logic 9) uses multiple processors - I believe Mainstage 1 (Logic 8 ) uses only one.

Another thing that can cause hiccups is loading more than 4G of instruments. (They say there's a 4G limit on memory, and then some kind of paging takes place.) I wonder if this is an issue on MS2?

Also, you probably want to avoid using more than one instance of Space Designer, Delay Designer, and other things that are processor intensive. (A lot of instruments load their own copy of Space Designer. All you have to do is bypass the extra SD.)

I run a CPU meter on my screen so I can easily see if I'm in trouble, and hopefully what did it.

They tell me Mainstage 2 (Logic 9) uses multiple processors - I believe Mainstage 1 (Logic 8 ) uses only one.

I run a CPU meter on my screen so I can easily see if I'm in trouble, and hopefully what did it.

I haven't seen anywhere if MS2 is using two Cores or one, or how to turn it on or off. Right now, with a Concert of about 7 patches, comprised mostly of Logic softsynths, a couple of non-Logic softsynths / effects, one external hardware synth controlled using the new external instrument channel strip and an external effects unit on an aux bus; MS2 seems to run fairly CPU intensive. Running the same Concert in MS1 (without the external synth of course), I was able to keep my I/O Buffer at 64, but with MS2 I had to increase it to 128 so that the CPU was not in the red most of the time. 128 IO increased my latency with my FF400 from 9ms to 14ms, and it "feels" a bit sluggish, although I am not sure i can tell if there is any audible latency in the final output.

I would really welcome a solid discussion about any and all configuration possibilities to reduce CPU levels and spikes (mainly occur with non Logic softsynths).

Thanks